restore Imgage on another PC with different hardware.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tommyf, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyf

tommyf Registered Member

Hello

I have some trouble with create/restore image with Acronis 8.0:

what I want to do:
    We have a PC that is used as administration PC (PC1) in our server room. I want to make a complete image of that PC and then restore that on another PC (PC2). PC1 is a Compaq EVO Pentium4, 1700 mhz, 18 gb in one partition and PC2 is a IBM ThinkCentre S50 Desktop with C:\ partition of 20 Gb and D:\ of 10 Gb. On PC1 i do a sysprep -mini because I want to move to another hardware and then the PC boots and I create an Image using Acronis 8.0 Rescue CD. The Image is created on a external Maxtor USB disk. I move to PC2 and restore the Image using the rescue CD again. Everything is going fine untill reboot where it comes up and tell me that Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. I can thet boot in Safe mode/with networking/command prompt, Last known good configuration/ or normal. Last known gives me the advice to boot with Windows CD and repair the installation. Normal just reboots the PC. Does anyone have any ideas of what is going wrong? Do I need to format PC2 completely and unpartition everything?
    Thank you in advance
    Tommy

2. tommyf

tommyf Registered Member

I forgot to say that OS is Windows XP SP2 Build 2600...

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tommyf,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The problem is resulted from the fact that you transfer the system to another hardware. After you perform the cloning please use your Windows Installation CD to perform Windows Repair Installation as described at Microsoft article. This should solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. zefrench

zefrench Guest

If you post the exact error I can probably point you in the right area. Please note that moving hardware is not for the faint of heart, but based on what you say I woudl guess the boot.ini partition number changed form one machien to the next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.