Restore Images?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tb582, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

I am running true image server 8.0, I made a full backup of my c: drive and true image split the image into 3 files. (image1, image2, and image3) I have made a full boot cd, everthing boots up fine, I choose restore image, select image1, and hit next....this is where I think something goes wrong. I have a Iwill DH-800 motherboard, and i'm running 2 WD SATA Raptors in RAID 0, after I select the image I want to restore it asks me where I want to restore it to, and it gives me a list of the HDD's that it finds. It sees the 2 WD HDD's 74 GB, and lists them both as SCSI interface.... but I don't think it knows that its in RAID? Anyway I select the 1st wd hdd for it to restore the image to, but when its complete and I restart it comes up with a disk read error has occured..... I know for a fact that it is not a hardware problem, but rather I think its something with acronis, when I choose where I want it restored too_Oo_O Please help me restore my image

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

Looks like your Adaptec SATA RAID controller isn't supported properly when restoring from within the TI, Linux based, boot rescue environment. Are you able to install TI on another machine? If so, then create a "Safe" version of the boot recue CD (it uses DOS and BIOS functions rather than Linux) and boot the Iwill DH800 from that. It's possible that you might then be able to restore your image. Good luck.

Regards

3. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

The images are stored on an external usb HDD, will that be a problem with the safe cd? How can I get around that?

4. Zintar

Zintar Guest

You might try restoring to one disk and then rebuilding the RAID.

5. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

I have tried that, I select only the 1st wd hdd but when it restarts it comes up with a disk read error has ocurred.

6. Zintar

Zintar Guest

"it" being the RAID BIOS? I thought maybe you were booting straight into Windows.

7. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

"I have tried that, I select only the 1st wd hdd but when it restarts it comes up with a disk read error has ocurred."

It being when it tries to boot into windows

8. Zintar

Zintar Guest

What kind of RAID is it? On my motherboard you create/rebuild RAIDs in the controller BIOS before Windows ever sees them.

9. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

Its bulit into the mobo, software RAID, but why would I have to do that again, in order for acronis to see it? The RAID is already there and created, it comes up as healthy.

10. Zintar

Zintar Guest

Well if you only restored a RAID to one disk, that doesn't sound "healthy" to me. At some point, something needs to redistribute the data from one disk to two in the selected RAID style (striping or mirroring as the case may be.)

11. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

I'm not sure if i understand you, both when I start the computer and it goes through the normal post it loads the software raid, and shows both HDD's comming up as healthy in RAID 0, so the computer sees it as being raid 0, it seems to me that its just true image that doesn't see it that way (first post) ??

12. Zintar

Zintar Guest

I was suggesting a work-around since, like you say, it sounds like TI doesn't recognize the RAID.

ie: break the RAID, restore to one, recreate the RAID specifying the disk you restored to as the data source. Then boot.

(If you can't find a more elegant solution.)

13. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

hmmm I was unaware that you could do that, (i'm going to try the safe boot cd first) but if I understand you correctly if, I tell the bois that there is no RAID and just restore the images to one HDD, reboot, then go into the raid and tell it that i'm going to set up RAID 0 it will automatically stripe the data to the other drive?

14. Zintar

Zintar Guest

If your RAID BIOS is like mine, yes, when you create a RAID, it will ask if you have existing data on one of the disks and then it will populate the other drive as required from the drive you specify.

The safe CD may also work. The safe CD recognizes my USB drives though access is much slower than the normal/Linux CD.

15. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

It appears that the safe boot cd is working its restoring the image now, I'll let you know in 2hrs. when it is done, I have my fingers crossed.....

16. tb582

tb582 Registered Member

safe cd worked :D

17. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Great news!! Mind you, I wasn't aware that you had created your image to an external USB drive when I suggested using a "safe" boot rescue CD. It very much depends on the motherboard's BIOS as to whether or not the safe CD can restore a RAID array from the USB connection. So I guess you lucked in :)

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.