Restore Image to New HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tedwood, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tedwood

Tedwood Registered Member

Acronis True Image Personal Version 8.0 ( build 896 )

Hi, All,

At present I have my 80GB HDD split into two partitions ( 25GB & 55GB ).

If I purchase a new HDD do I have to format and partition it first or can Acronis True Image do this for me while restoring an image file of the System?

Ted from New Zealand.
    ===================

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Tedwood

Welcome to Wilders forums.

NO you do not format the new HDD, because Ti would not restore to a format partition without first asking to delete the partition, for safety reasons i.e. they could contain some data.

Ti will use the same file system and size of partition that was in use when you made or make the Image, when you restore the Image to the new HDD you will have the choice to alter the size of the partition that you to want to restore to fit fill the new HDD.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Tedwood

Hi there, TheQuest,

Many thanks for your very prompt reply.

I have created a TI image of my C:drive. It is 4.12 GBs in size and I used Normal compression. The file system is NTFS and the partition size the image was created from was 25GBs.

Will TI restore that image to an unwritten, unpartitioned 80 GB HDD with the correct formatting and allow me to set the partitions as I want them?

Thank you for your advice.

Ted.
    =========

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Using Version 8, your choices are much fewer than the more recent versions.
    At the very least, I would suggest that you upgrade the 896 to the latest build of version 8. You can download from your personal registration page.

For more info on how to accomplish your goal, I believe you would find page 24 of my "Partition Restore with Resize" guide helpful. It is listed on line 3 of my signature below.

5. Tedwood

GroverH

I'll check out those guides. Thank you very much.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Tedwood

Your very welcome.

Yes Ti will restore the the Image with a ntfs system which will be 25GB.

You can alter the size of the partition during the restore setup, but not the file system.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Tedwood

Hi, TheQuest,

You've told me all I need to know, so that question is sorted. However, from what I've read on this forum it appears that many users strike problems restoring an Image, particularlyfrom a USB source even though it verifies okay. Have to keep my fingers crossed, I guess.

Once again, thanks for your help.
    ============================

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.