Restore image to a smaller HD?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by profit, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profit

profit Registered Member

I've had good luck restoring images to the same sized drive. Recently I tried to restore to a smaller drive, which is something I really have to be able to do with my images. The Win7 image I'm working with doesn't seem to restore completely as it finishes it's restoration process too soon and then the drive won't boot when I plug it in the final machine.

Is there some process for restoring an image to a smaller drive? I was just trying to restore the entire drive image at once. I didn't really see any obvious options for doing this adjustment (I'm new to the program of course so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place). Do I have to use a the bigger Backup Suite to do this? I'm just using the free version and would be willing to purchase the whole suite if it has the features I need to do this.

2. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

The response from Paragon_Matt may help you:

The only way to prevent/resolve this issue is to shrink the original partition to be smaller then your target drive.

This should be done before a backup is made of the partition.

This ensures that you are restoring your image to a larger (or same size) drive, allowing a sector level restore.

Edit: Shrinking a partition can be done with Partition Manager, and is not available in B&R10. It can also be done with Windows 7 built in disk management, though the Windows tool is less robust and will only allow you to shrink a portion of your partitions.

3. profit

profit Registered Member

Okay. This makes sense. I'll just restore to a bigger drive and then shrink the partition down to 40GB and make a proper image that will install on anything I reasonablly need. Thanks for your help!

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.