Restore image from external USB drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by speedaddict150, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedaddict150

speedaddict150 Registered Member

Im trying to restore a image onto my SATA raid 0 drives from my backup images located on a external USB 2.0 drive, when I boot with the emergency boot disk the external USB drive shows up but I cannot explore its contents therefore I am unable to select the image i want to restore. So my question is there a way to restore from the external drive onto my raid 0 array? I have already tried altering the boot order and booting the USB drive first. any and all assitance is appreciated!

2. dp

dp Registered Member

Are you getting any error messages? When you select your USB drive, nothing happens? I store my images on a USB 2.0 external drive and I restore from it all the time w/o any problems.

3. Luminous

Luminous Registered Member

If you computer has several different USB ports try using those. Different ports can be connected to the mobo in different ways. Also, not all the USB ports on a computer run at the same speed.

From my experience the USB ports found at the back of the machine that directly plug into the mobo are the ones that tend to be the most reliable (yes it would be the ones that are hard to get to).

Hope this works for you.....as I will soon be getting an external USB drive for my machine shorty.

4. speedaddict150

Anyone Else

need some help here

5. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

I presently have one 28 GB unpartitioned hard drive with 19 GB free.

Tomorrow I'm adding another drive, which will probably be internal, but I've been wondering about the pros/cons, advantages/disadvantages of an external drive.

Is the only reason that people use external drives that they have no more available space for internal ones? Or is there some benefit to having an external hard drive, too?

6. I use a 40-GB external drive for my backups. I decided on an external drive (for somewhat more money) so I can disconnect it when I am going to be away from the office (a garage apartment behind my house) on a trip. I store this drive away from the office - so even if something happens to the computer my programs and data are safe.

I schedule an incremental backup every night in the small hours of the morning.

7. speedaddict150

Im giving up on TrueImage, I have switched to Symantec Ghost 2003 and It works flawlessly with my external HD.

8. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

Just goes to show you----

In my case I switched from Ghost 2003 because I could *not* save or restore images to my External WD Combo Drive, using USB. I could only do so using firewire and not all of my systems have firewire.

With true image, firewire is a problem, but no problem using USB.

My theory on this is the Linux drivers and my firewire hardware and/or my motherboard are not 100% compatible and so I see these unexplainable anomalies.

Alternatively, perhaps my system or the External WD Combo Drive is possessed by Satan and he is using it as a tool to demonstrate his great power.

9. cityman

cityman Registered Member

thanks for the idea- that usb ports can be at different speeds. i will try it.

i have a laptop, with a 40gb external hard drive usb (apricorn). i true imaged it version 8 effortlessly but when i try to restore , i am unable to do so. see my other post [Acronis TI v8 build 764 does not restore] for the details. but maybe using different usb ports is the answer.

now i have to get ready for using v 7 or v8 and the different usb ports. but it will not be today or this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.