Restore Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SJM, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJM

SJM Registered Member

Ok, so i took some advice and got a copy of Acronis True Image...and now i'm glad i did as my second Seagate barracuda 500 Gb drive has died.

I've got a 1Tb WD drive on it's way and i need to know these two things:

First off, i created a new full back up archive and then another 6 incremental images onto an external drive. I also created a Acronis True Image bootable CD.

1: Do i need to format my new drive first before i restore the image(s), if so, how, as obviously i don't have Vista installed ? Or does Acronis do everything that is needed?

2: The tutorial i'm using explains how to restore the first main archive, but not the incremental images. What is the process for restoring the main backup + all incremental images so my new drive is restored to the very latest incremental image?

Maybe these are explained when i actually use the software to restore, but i just want to know for sure and make it as quick as possible.

Thanks.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You shouldn't need to format the drive. Boot with the Rescue CD and try the Restore without formatting. Choose the last incremental to restore. True Image will know that it is part of all the previous ones right up to the initial Full image.

If for some reason there is need to format, the bootable CD has a feature called Add New Drive which does that.

3. SJM

SJM Registered Member

I'm having a problem with this:

Images were saved on an external esata drive.

So i boot into the Acronis bootable cd, full version, recovery.

It analysis drives:

Local disk (C) 931 GB (my new drive)
    New volume (D) 465 GB (external drive)
    CD drives ect.

I locate last image from (D) (shown as disk 2 465 GB )

Restore disks or partitions - partition or disc to restore:

Disk 2 NTFS (C) Pri Act 465 GB
    MBR and track 0

Surely this is incorrect? Should it not show Disk 1 - NTFS (C) - Pri Act - 931 GB - as this is the drive i want to install the image on?

If i select Disk 2, in restored hard drive location it shows:

Disk 1 - 465 GB (D)
    Disc 2 - 931 GB (C)

I'm confused, please help!

4. SJM

SJM Registered Member

I could do with some help.

Am i making the mistake in thinking that in the "partition or disc to restore" section, this:

Disk 2 NTFS (C) Pri Act 465 GB
    MBR and track 0

...is actually my (C) drive from the backed up images and NOT the destination drive?

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You are looking at the image backup. The image was made from the 500GB drive that failed. That's the 465GB image. The MBR and Track 0 are the ones recorded from that failed drive.

What you want to do is to restore the MBR and Track 0 and then restore the C: partition in a second step. When you restore only the C: partition, you will be able to resize it from 465 GB to the full size of the 1 TB drive (931 GB) or anything in between if you should want a second partition on the new drive.

OK? Yoiu are not the first person to be confused by this the first time you've had to do it. :)

6. SJM

SJM Registered Member

Thanks, that worked, but the 1 Tb drive is now only half the size when i boot into Windows.

I'm not sure about this:

"What you want to do is to restore the MBR and Track 0 and then restore the C: partition in a second step. When you restore only the C: partition, you will be able to resize it from 465 GB to the full size of the 1 TB drive (931 GB) or anything in between if you should want a second partition on the new drive"

Where is the tutorial to restore an image onto a larger drive and maintain that drives size?

I think i need a walkthrough!

7. jmk94903

OK, that's what happens if you select the entire drive to restore. No problem, you now know that you have a bootable new disk and a successful restore.

Now, boot from the Rescue CD again, select the same image to restore, but only check the box next to the C: partition not the box for the whole drive. When you get to where to restore to, select the C: partition on the new drive. You are going to overwrite the C: partition when you make it larger.

You will now be able to adjust the size of the C: partition to use the rest of the hard drive. I haven't done this in TI 2009 yet, but there should be up and down arrows next the size of the C: partition to allow you to change it. Or, you can drag the right edge of the C: partition in the graphic further right to fill the unused space.

If you don't see it immediately, take some time to look around at the options to see where the size change can be done.

Someone else who has done this in TI 2009 may jump in with specific instructions if you have any further problems, or I'll run through it myself later.

8. SJM

SJM Registered Member

Thanks, i get to where i can change the size, but what do i change it to?

9. jmk94903

Well, your old drive was just one partition, the whole drive. Is that the way you want to use the new drive. That makes sense to me, but some people like to have a second partition on the same drive to store data or files that they don't want to include in the backup of C:.

If you want to use the whole drive for C:, just pull the right edge all the way to the right then click the up arrow next to the size to be sure that's as far as the size increase will go. You can just use the up arrow, but that's slower.

If you want to have a second partition, decide how big you want it to be and leave that much as unallocated space.

When you have decided on the size, just continue with the restore. When you reboot, C: will be the size you set.

OK?

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SJM,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Thanks jmk94903 for your step-by-step instructions, SJM I would also recommend you to check some useful video tutorials using the following link

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

11. jmk94903

The videos can be very helpful, but the TI 2009 screens look so different that they really need to be updated.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jmk94903,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Good remark I will create case in our Customer Listening System regarding video tutorials update.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.