Restore from USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davidlieberman, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidlieberman

davidlieberman Registered Member

when I boot from a recovery disk in order to restore my computer's hard drive I get several errors of the type:

"USB device not accepting new address. Error=-110

when I try to do the restore my external USB hard drives on which I keep my Acronis archives are not seen (along with my mouse and anything else on a USB port).

For many months I was able to restore from a USB drive on another computer with a flaky hard drive. But now, on this new computer I cannot.

If I boot Windows XP and then start Acronis, it sees all of my external USB drives, it is only when I attempt it from recovery media that the drives are not there.

Can anybody help?

David

2. davidlieberman

davidlieberman Registered Member

OK. I found the "workaround" under the "please read before posting" thread.

I did the F11 bit and entered:

quiet acpi=off noapic

and then it seemed to work although I won't know for sure for about an hour. But Acronis did see the USB drives (and my mouse works).

But can somebody explain this to me? Isn't this a bug? Why doesn't it get fixed in the distributed software?

David

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

It's not exactly a bug.

The majority of systems work without that additional command but some need it.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello David,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create the bootable rescue media with the latest build and see whether the problem persists.

If the problem persists with the latest build, please detach any USB devices you don't need in rescue mode.

If that does not help, please submit a request for technical support. Provide the information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. Please also provide the information confirming your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.).
    We will provide you with a special ISO image which allows you to create the bootable rescue media with parameters quiet acpi=off noapic.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Tatyana,

Just an idea.

Why not introduce this fourth option on the selection screen: "Full version, but with ACPI and APIC disabled"?

That would make for an easyer life on both sides.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bVolk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I have forwarded your request to our Development Team. They will consider it and such feature will be probably implemented in the future builds/versions of the software.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.