Restore files from an Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jabouley, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jabouley

jabouley Registered Member

I am happy to report that I successfully restored files from an Image backup to a separate server using TI 9.1. Howerver, I did notice two issues that hopefully someone can help out.

First, I selected the second drive on the Image Backup "Drive(D)". I then dis a FilexFile restore and selected the Destination as the "D" drive on the new computer. The restore worked but restored the files into a folder called "Drive(D)"! How could I redirect those file to go to the appropriate volume and not create a new sub-folder when restoring like this? I am assuming a full Image restore would take care of this but if I just needed a few files how can this work.

Second, after realizing the restore saved all the files into "Drive(D)" folder I proceeded to delete. The majority of the files deleted correctly except for a few. Windows 2003 returned an error indicating that the file was corrupt! I checked the files on the original server where I did the backup and they are perfectly readable.

Thank you,
    John

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello John,

I'm afraid TI always does that when you select the option to restore a file to a different location. If you want the files in a different location without the original directory structure then use TI's "Mount Image" feature and just copy the files you want from the virtual drive to your required locations. Note that you can only "mount" a Disk or Partition image, not a Files and Folders image. Remember to unmount the image when done.

I recommend you check the integrity of the image archive via TI's Backup Archive Validation Wizard. It's worth noting that an image that's reported corrupt during validation will sometimes mount successfully, enabling you to copy important data files from the virtual drive that TI created.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jabouley,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that this is a normal behavior of Acronis True Image. Using Recovery Wizard Acronis True Image restores the files/folders including the path to that files/folders. As Menorcaman suggested you can use Mount Image tool of Acronis True Image to mount the image as a virtual drive and using Windows Explorer or other file managers view/copy the image contents as if they were located on a physical disk or partition.

Could you please do the following:

- right-click on this files/folder and select Properties;

- open Permissions tab;

- click on Advanced button;

- open Owner tab;

- set yourself as owner;

- return to Permissions tab;

- make sure that tick mark is present near Inherit from parent.

After that try to delete the files/folders once again. In order to be able to delete them you should have appropriate permissions for that.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. blow

blow Registered Member

Restore SYSTEM files from an Image

Hello @ll & Acronis Support,

and how can i restore system files from an Image?
    With system files i mean the "windows" or "system32" folder?

BR

5. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Re: Restore SYSTEM files from an Image

Hello blow,

Same way as regular (not system) files. Via Restore Data Wizard, select to restore files/folders, select what files/folders to restore, select where to restore (original or new location).

_Kento_

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.