Restore Exchange 2003

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dgally, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgally

dgally Registered Member

Has anyone been able to do a restore using TI Server Enterprise 9.1 of an Exchange 2003 server without having to afterwards use Exchange utilities (eseutil,isinteg etc...) to mount the databases?

I have tried on several occassions to several different servers but without the results I would expect (restore image, reboot, mount info store). I have tried creating the image with the VSS option and also tried pre/post commands to stop the Exchange service. It doesn't make a difference.
    Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make this work without jumping through hoops. thanks

2. leadfoot93

leadfoot93 Registered Member

Yes I was able to. I used the universal restore option to move it to a different machine.

3. dgally

dgally Registered Member

LeadFoot,
    Did you have to do anything to mount the info store after the restore? I have had the restore complete without errors but when I try to mount the info store it gives errors. I have to use Exchange utilities to get it back. Anything special about the way you are creating the image? thanks

4. avasile

avasile Registered Member

Quick question: I had the same problem. How did you bring exchange back and running? What utilities did you use?
    thank you.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Although Acronis True Image takes care of hard disk and file system-level consistency via snapshot technology, it can not guarantee application-level consistency.

If your database and transaction logs are located on different partitions/volumes and you use Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 9.1 to back up the server, we can not guarantee entire database will be consistent.

At the same time Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server has Multi-Volume Snapshot feature. It allows you to create a snapshot of several volumes simultaneously and is useful when your database and transaction logs are located on different partitions/volumes. In this case you should enable Multi-Volume Snapshot feature in Backup Options for Acronis True Image Echo to ensure the consistency of the database after the restore. If this option is not checked then your transaction logs located on another volume will not correspond to the database state and thus you will need to repair the database after the restore.

So dgally, we would recommend you to download free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server to make sure backup created with the mentioned option enabled can be mounted. If this works correctly you can purchase upgrade.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

6. hulbs9nw

hulbs9nw Registered Member

I am also having this problem. Whenever I look at my restored exchange 2003 (SP2) database using eseutil /mh priv1.edb it always reports the State as Dirty Shutdown.

I have set ATI Echo Server to use the volume shadow copy service and I can indeed see it using this when looking in the event viewer. Is there something I'm doing wrong or a step I am missing? I am currently reviewing the use of ATI on our servers and it would be nice to hear an answer on this. I would definitely prefer not to have to stop the Information store service.

Thanks in advance.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hulbs9nw,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you have enabled multi-volume snapshot option, as described by Nikita?

Please make sure you use the latest build (8076) of Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.