Restore Data-Backup made on another Windows XP Installation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Backitup, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backitup

Backitup Registered Member

Hi at all,

this is my first post in this forum.
    But I'm working now with Acronis TI since "Acronis TI Deluxe" was released.

Here is my problem.
    I have made an Incrementell-Backup (Full-Backup and some Incrementell-Backups) of some folders (all folders of one Partition, but I have made a Data-Backup, not an Image-Creation) from a Data Partition formated in FAT32.
    The Backups were saved on a NTFS Partition with no password protection.
    TI checked, and all is OK. :)

Now I have installed TI 10 same Build on another Windows XP, on the same HD but differend Partition.
    If I want to restore the Data-backup, TI 10 on second Windows tells me, that this is not a TI Backup Archive.
    When I try to open the Archive in the Windows Explorer, I get a message, that the Archive is password protected!
    But I made the Backup with no password protection! o_O

After I boot the Windows Installation, where the Backup was made, I can restore and continue this Backup! :doubt:

The two Windows XP Installations are both on NTFS Partitions and they are both "stand alone installed" (during Installation the other XP was hidden).

Now here is my "Desaster-Theory":
    If I now burn my backups on DVD and in the Future my System crashs, how can I restore my Backups on a fresh Windows Installation? o_O

2. Backitup

Backitup Registered Member

Now here is the solution:

I have burned the Full and all Incr.Data Backups (saved on HD of first Windows) on three DVDs.
    Now after copy to HD (second Windows) TI restores succesfully.
    It is also possible to restore direct from DVD.

I think this is a problem with the user rights!?

But here comes a new question:

During the Backup (Full and all Incr.) TI reports, that one File is not readable.
    Nevertheless TI makes a functional Backup (no problems to restore) and after
    file synchronisation absolutely the same data (contents and crc).

How can I get infos about the file, that TI marks with a yellow Warning Symbol in the report.
    Maybe a sector is damaged?

Bye

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Backitup,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please make sure the backup .tib files have the right permissions set.
    If that does not solve the issue:

Please notice that such behavior is most likely caused by partition encryption. If you have enabled encryption feature in Windows, please modify backup setting accordingly (refer to chapter 5.3.7 “File-level security settings” of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide).
    If that is not the case, please try performing the backup operation using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. In case of encryption present, the standalone version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home will report “unsupported file system” and only full drive sector-by-sector raw backup will be available.

If you are unable to confirm the encryption presence, please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post.

Please also inform us about the results of using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.