Restore created windows with no login screen!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by topaz, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topaz

topaz Registered Member

I recently changed out my c:/ harddrive to a larger drive. I used Restore to restore my latest image to this new harddrive. Everything went perfect on the restore, except now I have no login screen after a reboot. Safe mode does the same thing. I've tried hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete at different points of windows booting up, but this doesn't work either.

Please help!

Topaz

2. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

cant you go to control panel under user accounts and setup it up

3. topaz

topaz Registered Member

Uh, kind of hard to go to the Control Panel when I can't login?? :rolleyes:

It doesn't log me into windows automatically. It just displays a windows xp logo with no login prompt, no way to shutdown the box, nothing!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  4. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

what is coming up on screen ?

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

When you get to the point where the login screen should appear press Ctrl Alt Delete once and if that does not work do it twice.

6. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

i have never had to press Ctrl Alt Delete to logon, windows boots to the signon screen, i enter my password and i enter.

hope you get it figured out.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I think OP is trying to say that they never get to the WELCOME screen. It hangs at the Windows Logo with the green or blue progress bar, i.e., it hangs at system startup.

Hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del once or twice is how I get to my administrator login from the Welcome screen.

This may be because the new hard drive you put in is too different from the old drive, hence the Windows you restored has bad hardware information at this point.

8. topaz

topaz Registered Member

I already mentioned in my first post Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't work. And no it doesn't hang at the progress bar you mentioned. It gets past this point. So, if this is a hardware conflict how would I fix it?

9. crofttk

OK, then it must be hanging while the screen is blank or solid colored which is what you have after the logo splash and before the Welcome screen and/or login box.

What to do depends on how handy you are with Windows installs. A Windows Repair Install (NOT a full reinstall) would probably be your quickest method at this point, assuming it is a hardware conflict and nothing more.

10. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

assuming you have the drive jumpered correctly as master.

was the drive formated/partitioned NTFS, if not then do so.

what version do you have of acronis, if its the lattest are you restoring the MFT also ?

11. eager2no

eager2no Registered Member

topaz,
    You may want to try this if you have access to ERD Commander or a similar Windows repair tool that can boot a dead system like yours from the tool's recovery CD:

1. boot into ERD Commander - it _will_ start your Windows in repair mode and allow you to acess the registry
    2. start regedit
    3. navigate to HKLM/SYSTEM/MountedDevices
    4. delete the entire MountedDevices folder (!!!)
    5. when done, reboot - you should now be able to log in.

Worked for me when I ran into the same trouble while cloning a WinRar'ed C partition to another drive.

12. crofttk

That makes alot of sense. I would think that would force a redetect and Windows would straighten itself out.

Good Luck!

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello topaz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that most likely you have experienced the same issue as described in this threads: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr
    Therefore, please have a look at these threads and try to perform the actions described there.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.