Restore Created major problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TJL, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJL

TJL Registered Member

Well here is a newbie mistake. I did a backup of my documents folder, Desktop icons and shortcuts etc, and my Outlook backup folders, and my favorites. I restored that archive onto my new laptop. I allowed it to choose the overwrite option if needed.I figured it was ok as Iwas not restoring anything that was a program. Just folders with office and exceldocuments etc. When it got done restoring, all my shortcuts just imported on my desktop would no longer work. The error was The target of this internet shortcut is not valid. When I would try and open a folder that I restored, I would get the error C:\Documents and settigs\my name\Desktop\the name of the folder\is not accessible. Access is denied. Basically it won't allow me to open up any of the documents or folders in my documents folder. It also messed up a couple of my programs. Anyone ever run nto this and have a fix other than a full reload of windows? I am running Win XP Pro with Office 2003.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi TJL

I am trying to understand exactly what you did so could you read through the following and tell me if my understanding is correct.

* You have a desktop PC with Windows XP file system is NTFS
    * You login to this PC as a user, e.g. user "TJL Home"
    * You have a My Documents for this user on drive C:
    * Assume the user name is "TJL Home" then the path to this folder would be :
    - C:\Documents and Settings\TJL Home\My Documents
    * You created an image of the My Documents folder

* You have a laptop with Windows XP file system is NTFS
    * You login to the laptop as a user, e.g. user "TJL Work"
    * You restored the PC My Documents folder to the laptop (Where on the laptop?)

Problem : You cannot access any of the files

Is the above analysis correct?

3. TJL

TJL Registered Member

Basically this is true. I did an image from my old laptop and then restored an archive to my new one. I restored the files to the sameplaces. All the files in my documents went back to the same place. It will not let me delete them or view them now. I also restored shortcuts and some folders with office documents to my desktop and they won't let me use them either. I was able to delete some shortcuts but not any folders with shortcuts in them.

4. TJL

TJL Registered Member

I had this backup stored on a separate plug in (usb) drive. Is there a way I can go back in and make any needed changes and restore correctly over the files that I can no longer access? Atthis point I can't even delete them nor open most of them to view what's inside. I'm going to have to wipe the drive if there isn't a simple answer.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

DONT WIPE THE DRIVE!!

Apologies for shouting but I am 99% sure that there is a simple answer.

Sorry that I cannot help you anymore today but I will get onto it tomorrow.

Hang in there...... :) :) :)

6. dld

dld Registered Member

You may have to reestablish the proper path for your shortcuts.

If this is a matter of permissions take a look here.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

I am almost certain that the post by "dld" is the solution to your problem.

8. TJL

TJL Registered Member

yes you guys were a great help. I got my permission problem resolved but the office applications are taking a long time to open. Not sure what is causing that but at least I can control the folders and files again. thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.