restore\backup only softwares

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yst, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yst

yst Registered Member

Helli:

How to backup all software or application related registry,configuration ,from true image ,just prepare for a new harddisk so that in future will not need to reinstall each and every software from scratch.(since some of them have been downloaded from web whereas the URL I have forgotten,to surf again is a big pain.and some of them have been saved in some cds scatterly,but to find them out from thousands of cds may need plenty of energy and time,)

Just fear the universal restore will not work when new hardware structure of the new computer ,so the window xp will be installed from xp disk rather than from restore image,so that to ensure it will boot right, only to know and assure it is possible to restore all the applications from the old machine so that reinstall is not need ?(both are window xp)

if someone know how to do it from true image?thanks a lot.:)

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

As I understand your questions,

Your options are to either:
    1. Do a fresh install of Windows and install each program as a new install.
    or
    2. Restore a previous TrueImage archive and utilize the entire previous installation.

You cannot restore your programs only onto an existing XP installation and expect them to work.

The fresh install of the os registry would be missing all the old program info and none of the programs would work from the menu.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

GroverH is correct. This is not possible with TrueImage or any other program that I know of.

You might read about TrueImage Universal Restore as a possible option.

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Ah, for the good old DOS days when you could easily do such things. ;)

Back to the present (and future), you will find some straight-forward and sound backup suggestions here.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello yst,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that, as was noted by other posters, most applications are tightly interlaced with the operating system and the only reliable way to transfer them to another computer is together with operating system. Acronis solution that is designed to transfer the system to a different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore (which is an add-on for corporate versions of Acronis True Image). You can find detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in the User's Guide of the respective version of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

DOS is still around and still runs on PCs -- no need to pine for the good ol' days of severely limited, unprotected memory space, expanded memory managers rebooting time after time trying tofigure out what order to load programs, and those good ol' floppy disks. ;-)

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I got rid of the ol' floppy disks. I had the new ones that held 1.4MB. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.