Restore an Image to new and bigger Hard disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Alexandra, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandra

Alexandra Registered Member

Scenario:
    We have used TI Enterprise for Windows in order to make an image of a whole hard disk (20GB) on a laptop. This image was saved on an external USB Hard disk. We have removed the old Hard disk (20GB) and replaced it by a new hard disk (60 GB).
    When we tried to restore the image to the new HD, we didn't succeed to change the partitions size.
    Is that possible only when making an image by partitionso_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Alexandra,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

If you restore an image archive of the entire hard disk including the master boot record (MBR), then you cannot resize the partitions. There are two possible workarounds, if you need to restore the partitions with resizing while the MBR is also restored.

- Restore the entire hard disk without resizing and then restore each of the partitions separately setting the proper size for it and overwriting the previously restored one.

- Restore the partitions separately resizing them and then fix the MBR manually by one of the below ways:

1) Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    2) Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console.

If you have any quiestions please feel free to ask me.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Alexandra

Thanks a lot for your answer.
    What do I need to do if the OS on the disk is Linux (Debian) and not Microsoft? How to copy or create the MBR in Linux?

4. Acronis Support

Hello Alexandra,

MBR (Master Boot Record) is a small program that is executed when a computer boots up. Typically, the MBR resides on the first sector of the hard disk. It doesn't matter what operation system you have to fix MBR. Please also read Acronis Post to fix Master Boot Record.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Alexandra

I have used Acronis Loader to repair MBR as recommended in your post but after rebooting I am receiving the following error:
    invalid operating system!
    As I understand it the Acronis Loader is compatible withMicrosoft OS and not with Linux. Please advise.

6. Acronis Support

Hello Alexandra,

We have to investigate your problem please contact us via e-mail.

Could you please also do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.