restore an image of physical server to a VMWare

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmhepner, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmhepner

jmhepner Registered Member

While this doesn't seem like the same issue as the thead that got closed, can someone point me to some help on how to restore an image taken of a physical server with TI to a VMWare Virtual Machine? I have tried numerous times with no success (always get a corrupted registry).

2. Steve4

Steve4 Registered Member

Hi

I was wondering if you had any luck with this? I was looking at buy this product for this specific reason, but I am not too sure. WOuld you be able to post if you make any progress?

Good Luck :)

3. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi!

As said in the support base, the two methods are these :

acronis site

In VMware like in Virtual Server, as most drivers are industry standards, you need to give no extra drivers (except some special LSI Logic SCSI cards...)

What i would REALLY like to have in the Recovery CD, is the ability to support VMAdditions for VMWare and Virtual Server to have decent performances while restoring!

Ciao! :cool:

Jaycee

4. jmhepner

Ok...but restoring to a VMWare Virtual Machine did NOT work...the registry says it is corrupted every time. I even tried adding in the LSI logic SCSI drivers that VMWare seems to use, but when I tried to add the drivers to the list they would not show up in the Universal Restore wizard. I understand that this is supposed to "just work" but it doesn't...should the Universal Restore software be installed on the SOURCE server that I am TAKING an image of, or do I just include it in the bootable CD (as I have been doing)?

5. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

I just read that you do not need UR on the source image, only on bootable media to restore.

But I do agree that it doesnt work the way i want it to.

Did you try building a BartPE Acronis CD, with the VMWare Additions installed?

If the problem was the LSI driver, you would have a BSOD with 007E Inaccessible Boot Device o_O

I just tried to restore a XP VM from VMWare to Virtual Server and not much success.....

Not yet done...

Jaycee

6. jmhepner

I have not tried the BartPE w/VMWare additions installed...do you have a link on how to accomplish this?

7. jmhepner

This is the exact error I get:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Seelct 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I have tried doing a repair and it didn't work. Any ideas?

8. jmhepner

Ok...I've progressed from that message to a BSOD...I did a repair and now it's blue screening...I'm guessing it's the hard drive controller in the VM. Any suggestions?

9. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Universal Restore should do the job, but doesnt always do it the way u want.

With Bart PE you can do things, but i saw no way to use the Universal Restore within.

Just tried VMWare to Virtual Server : Failure :/

Argh!

10. jmhepner

Have you contacted Acronis support directly for this yet? We have paid for maintenance, so that is my next step.

11. Osno11

Osno11 Registered Member

Please keep us informed what the support says. We have exactly the same problem. Many thanks

12. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Ok, so please give a look at the topic i opened, where Mustang nicely answered, he made a plugin for Acronis that allows the use of Universal Restore and a plugin for VMWare Additions under BartPE!

This could allow you to see wether your problem is due to hardware or a problem with Acronis Rescue CD.

I just tried, and seems to work well!

Jaycee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.