Restoration

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by EASTER, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Even at this moment i am running the freeware RESTORATION with Delete Completely that additionally wipes supposedly already deleted files in the system.

Does anyone have a grasp as to why performance picks up very noticably when running this app?

It just re-enforces my belief that default windows leaves deleted files identifiable enough that the system still hesitates on them and is reason the more even deleted files pile up, the more the system refuses to ignore them.

By contrast, after a RESTORATION run, the entire systems picks up in performance and leads me to believe RESTORATION does some extra maintenance on them to keep them from being stumbled over by Windows.

Odd, but there is definitely something concrete to practicing this additional wipe method. Best part is you can continue to work with your PC while RESTORATION clears them away and frees up space.

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I did a freespace wipe with Eraser version 5.85.1, then with RESTORATION I did a delete completely on what was left over and after I noticed it took longer and longer for pages to load. I did a sfc/scannow to get back to normal.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, i have never let ERASER do a full disk wipe of unused cluster tip space ever, not that it's can't handle it, but i always felt put aback by the erase unused cluster tips in it probably because sometime back i read some posts in the Eraser forum where users experienced problems.

On the other hand, and i'm always at a complete loss to explain it, RESTORATION absolutely speeds up matters after i run it, and it's a routine practice of mine now all the time.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Maybe if you let Eraser do a full disk wipe of unused cluster tip space, you will acheve the same level of performance.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I hear ya Carver.

In your opinion is this 100% safe from problems? And do you regularly make use of that feature in ERASER on your own Hard Drives?

I'm cautious, because i procrastinate from turning to making backup images just to test full drive wipe outs like this when RESTORATION seems to impliment very effective algorithms to boost performance from simple clearing by replacing unused clusters on disk.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So Ocky

Do you use it now on a regular basis like i been with RESTORATION?

By the way, on advice from sone other posters i since downloaded the BlowFish CS standalone version and like to give it a try too.

EASTER

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi Easter,

Exactly. After running it then I defrag with Contig and do a page file
    defrag if necessary. Unfortunately I don't think the developer has any
    plans regarding Blowfish future versions.
    The encryption facility is also nice - certainly good enough for my simple
    purposes.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

It is difficult to imagine that such is the case. A file is either deleted or intact, in terms of the status of its record in the Master File Table. There is no intermediate state.

Easter, can you kindly quantify what “picks up” means (e.g., reduced duration in seconds)? In what facets of system performance do you notice the improvement (e.g., boot-up, application loading, etc.)?

Does Restoration produce a log file, so that you can see which files (and how many) are being processed?

Thank you.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In all honesty i couldn't boast of any difference in boot up time, but i do experience a marked improvement in normal application loading etc. after a wipe with it.

I'd really like to learn some info on just how it goes about doing that but i can only speculate that in some manner it reduces both size and readability of that occupied space where the once deleted file was, and for all purposes i presuppose Windows views it as a plain empty disk space with nothing to scan on.

Does this sound close to an accurate summation to you?

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Hey Easter, you got a link for Restoration?

12. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Theres a rather now outdated text file that runs thru some basic info and the like, but IMO leaves out some what could prove useful information for users who wish to learn a bit more just what goes in to how it improves performance and algorithms purposes for cleaning away deleted files debris.

If anyone has a better grasp on it and wishes to share their opinions or facts please free to do so.

EASTER

14. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I guess I'm gonna be the silly one to inquire why your using a Data Recovery solution as an eraser?

I'm not sure either why system performance would be noticably inproved by wiping deleted files.

15. slightlines

slightlines Registered Member

I used to use Rest2514 in W2K and 9x machines.
    I haven't tried it on my Vista 32-bit (SP1) machine, yet.
    I would run Eraser and see if I could find anything with Rest2514.
    Eraser took care of everything, and Restoration was not able to find anything.
    I have used Restoration to "fill-up" deleted files, as well.
    It seemed to work okay.
    Seems like it was faster than Eraser, but that was a long time ago.
    On today's hard drives, a simple, one-pass overwrite is supposed to render data unrecoverable by any software method, I understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.