Restoration Incomplete+Error Messages Bootup Help?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by smiler, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smiler

smiler Registered Member

Hi,i hope i am posting on the correct forum if not sorry as this seems like the closest.
    Hi,iam am trying to go back to a previously saved restore point that i manually made some 3-4 weeks ago and also i have tried all my previously saved manually restored poits but when i click on to do this and the pc re-boots i get a message "Restoration Incomplete",so as i said i have tried all my other previous manually saved restore points and i get the same message.
    I can see all the saved points and they come up clearly going back 2 months or more but they do not seem to work?,have i got a corrupted restore?.
    I have used the Restore before without any problems!,but rarely use it now only to make a saved point before i install a program in case of problems!- i have never had no problems until recently when one day about 2-3 weeks ago after the desktop finished booting up i got these 3 messages and this seemed to tie in with unable to return to a previously saved restore point.
    I have tried myself for 3 weeks to try to eradicate these 3 messages which always appear after the desktop boots up and also if i click on the SHORTCUT of REGISTRY MECHANIC and today SPYWARE BLASTER programs.
    Up to today i have failed to get rid of the messages coming up even though i have tried everything.
    I had a program installed called CDBurnerXP Pro installed,i never used it,never even had a shortcut on the desktop for it,i thought i might use the program one day-but i never did!,anyway i got 3 messages appear on the desktop 2 days ago out of the blue,the first one was:-

I had a program installed called CDBurnerXP Pro installed,i never used it,never even had a shortcut on the desktop for it,i thought i might use the program one day-but i never did!,anyway these are the 3 messages appear on the desktop of the blue,the first one was:-

Window Installer
    Preparing To Install

Then next message 2 was:-

CDBurnerXP Pro 3
    Error 1606.Could not access network location%USER PROFILE%Favorites

The next message 3 was:_

CDBurner XP Pro 3
    Please wait while windows configures CDBurnerXP Pro 3

I can get rid of both messages but it involves clicking the X box (message 3) bout 8 times and then the messages go away until i boot up next time.
    Strange i thought,so i thought i would uninstall CDBurnerXP Pro3 it via control panel,it would not have it!- same message appeared.
    OK i will go to My Computer/program files/CDBurner/Delete-still no good same message appears.
    OK tried in START/PROGRAMS/UNINSTALL CDBurnerXP Pro3 still no good?,
    ok i 'll get nasty use Advanced Uninstaller Pro 2004,UNINSTALL-still won't uninstall!,ok i'll use FORCED UNINSTALL-that worked removed all entries from the REGISTRY! 118 of them!.
    Strangely though the program is STILL listed in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS? but lists no Mb of memory on this program?.
    I have also noticed that when i click on the SHORTCUT for REGISTRY MECHANIC and today SPYWARE BLASTERi get the same 3 error messages above come up,same thing i have to click the box 8 times exactly to get rid of the last 2 message boxes,strange?,any ideas on that?,is REG/MECH and SPYWARE BLASTER program corrupted?,they work ok no problems there?.
    I tried REG CLEANER(good little program!) there was no mention of CDBurnerXP Pro3 in the programs ect?.
    I tried to download " Windows Installer Cleanup Tool" but when i tried to click on it to open it got this message:-

INSTALLER INFORMATION

Error 1606.Could not access network location %USER PROFILE%Favorites

RETRY CANCEL

If i i then close down the message box "X" then i get another box as follows:

FATAL ERROR
    Installation ended prematurely because of an error.

I have gone into start/run/regedit.exe and checked the registry for the correct values all is ok.
    Also followed article microsoft "you receive an error 1606 error message when you try to install or remove a microsoft program" article 886549 08/03/2005.
    The only MICROSFT PROGRAM that i did have trouble with especially UNINSTALLING was MICROSOFT ANTI-SPYWARE PROGRAM-i gor rid of it with REG-LITE very hard though.
    I have screen shots of the error message boxes that come up on the desktopif that helps.
    I have used REG CLEAN+REGISTRY MECHANIC CLEANUP+REG LITE SCAN AND UNIVERSAL UNINSTALLER PRO 2004 SCAN,CRAP CLEANER SCAN CLEAN,ADAWARE SCAN,SPYBOT,EWIDO,A2,FILE FOLDER SEARCH FOR CDBurnerXP Pro3- NOTHING?,but the entry is still in ADD/REMOVE?.
    When i boot up i still get the 3 essages on the desktop?,can anyone sort this mystery out for me,its bewildering and frustrating,the program is NOT listed in MY COMPUTER/PROGRAM FILES or in START/ROGRAMS but is in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and i keep getting the messages,how do i get rid of them for good?.
    I am using XP SP2 PC all updated ect ect.
    Your help would be much much appreciated i have tried everything-except safe mode not sure how to do that?

regards
    smiler

2. rawr

rawr Registered Member

I had the same problem when I accidently deleted some registry keys I wasn't supposed to..which in turn caused half of my installed programs to not show up in 'Add or Remove Programs' and if it did, it reported the wrong file size..couldn't not uninstall programs..etc.

You could try booting in safe mood and trying to fix your problems, but your best bet would be to back-up all software/music/data/etc. onto a CD-R/DVD-R and format.

* Also, make sure your account has admin access..that could also be the problem. :D

3. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Smiler,

For safemode .... repeatedly tap the F8 key before the system loads during boot,
    here you'll be able to select using the arrow key's.

"I have tried everything-except safe mode not sure how to do that?"

To return shut down as normal, Start - Shutdown/Restart.

GF

4. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Smiler,

Under the below registry location is where XP stores Add/Remove program information. Open regedit, locate and select the CDBurnerXP Pro3 listing if present, check for the existence of an EXE file path reference across from the uninstall string. Return to Explorer to confirm availability. I'll wait for you're reply.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You mentioned you're OS is XPsp2, this a cd or you have the sp1 cd and since updated online to sp2?
    Other combination (pre-installed OS, no cd)?

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.