Restoration from a network drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by indecks, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indecks

indecks Registered Member

Good afternoon,

I have created a backup of a notebook computer and placed the 9GB backup file on a Network drive, for example \\NetworkDrive\Backups\Notebook\backup.tib.

I created the bootable Acronis disc and when attempting to restore, I can see any drives attached to the computer as well as select "Computers Near Me", which then shows me (and allows me to select) "NetworkDrive". It takes a few seconds to proceed, and then I'm able to see the "Backups" folder within NetworkDrive. When I try to select and open the Backups Folder, the computer sort of freezes. It doesn't completely lock as I can still move the mouse, but NumLock does not respond, Alt/Ctrl/Del does not respond and I cannot hit cancel, or anything else. I've also let the computer sit for about 2 or 3 minutes just in case it's experiencing an issue accessing the ntwk drive, but nothing changes. I am forced to power down and restart my computer.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get this fixed? Thank you for your help.

also, just FYI, I have tried typing in my IP address manually, example: \\192.168.0.199\Backups\Notebook\backup.tib

and it still has not worked.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  2. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Welcome to the forums.

I use the Acronis Boot disk to restore from a network.

Dont type in the network address instead use browse and let Acronis find the source.

The boot disk may take a few minutes to find other computers but it will work.

I regularly backup and restore to network computers.

Are you asked at any stage for a user name or password when trying to access teh network computer?
    If so what action are you taking?

What Version and build number are you using? (Press ALT key to see hidden menu to find out the build number.)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  3. indecks

It's build 9516

4. indecks

hello

5. indecks

hello?

6. jehosophat

I dont recognise this build number of ATI 2009. If it is an early English language build of ATI 2009 then I recommend that you uninstall it and install build 9709 or later

7. indecks

Eh my dyslexia hits me again, sorry it's not 9516, its 9615

8. jehosophat

I have done network backups with your build but I also remember that some people had problems. So try again with a newer build. Some users can download build 9770, others like me find that they can download 9796 from the UK web site.

Build 9770 is not a good build according to the threads here so avoid this.

9. jehosophat

I am assuming that you can see the target drive over the network using Explorer and the drive is shared so you can add and delete files.

I put my backups in a shared directory.

10. indecks

Yeah this isn't making any sense at all.

I've got build 9788 now, and I'm getting further as it will ask me for authentication now, but even if I type the incorrect password just to test it, it says "Completed successfully." So it's not even realizing the password is incorrect.

Acronis can see my network drive, and I can get this far: \\NetworkDrive\Folder

But I cant get any further than that. The tib file I need is located in \\NetworkDrive\Folder\laptop.tib and Acronis WILL NOT see any folders within \\NetworkDrive\Folder. It is driving me mad.

I figured maybe it was an issue with my Network drive, so I copied the 8 gb file to my Desktop HDD and It's able to see it that way, but my issue is when I get the laptop I need to restore - it will not see them! I've tried it on a separate computer and it won't browse any further! For example, I've placed a copy of laptop.tib in my secondary HDD in my desktop, and have set that drive as shared over my home network. So now I've got one here:

D:\Backups\laptop.tib

When I try to browse through the network with the boot disk I select (in order)

Computers Near Me -> MyHomeNetwork -> Desktop -> HardDrive2

At this point, in the right panel i get "No items to show". I've refreshed, and gotten nowhere.

So I move the tib file I need into the main directory of the HDD, which is then D:\laptop.tib

It still does not see it.

What the hell is going on here? This is getting really annoying.

11. jehosophat

So you have made some progress. But Acronis still cant see the files.

Can you see the TIB files across the network using explorer?

Did you do a backup across the network successfully? Or did you transfer the TIB file after it had been created?
    Just recheck that the share settings include write access not just view.

Try putting any file on the network drive using Explorer to make sure that you have write access.

What operating systems are the 2 computers?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  12. indecks

Yes sharing is set properly. I can view any files I need via the network when within Windows. I was able to backup to the network twice on two different computers successfully.

I tried something else and got even less sense out of this thing. I put the laptop.tib file I needed on an External USB drive.

I connected the USB drive to a laptop just to test it and now I can see the main file... BUT ITS ACTING LIKE IT DOESN'T EXIST.

As an example, within the Acronis boot disc application, I can see the external drive as Drive E: I can open drive E and see folders within E, and folders within THOSE folders. I browse to the folder which houses laptop.tib and JEL_PC_Fresh.tib, there are two of them.

When I select them to attempt a restoration - they won't let me select them! They act like directories and they open to a screen that says "No items to display!!!"

In fact, here's a picture I had to take with my phone camera since I couldn't take a screenshot. You can see that laptop.tib is selected and I still cannot click OK. This makes no sense what-so-ever.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq134/payment_due/acronis.jpg

Attached Files:

13. jehosophat

Did you try connecting the USB drive and then switch the laptop on and use the Acronis Boot Disk.

There are a load of various posts that I think will help. i am trying to sort them out for you.

14. jehosophat

Okay I think this may be the problem.
    Do you have loaded the Acronis Device driver?

Acronis.jpg

15. indecks

Yes, the device driver is installed.

16. jehosophat

The users including me, here in the forums, did not write this buggy software.

I think that you need to raise a support call with Acronis. Live chat is faster than sending them an email.

The bottom line with Acronis is if the basics work with your hardware then its worth using. But only by testing it will you find this out.

All the obvious things to try you have done. It may be that your hardware is just not compatible. A newer version in the future may solve the problem.

It is disappointing that Acronis Support have not posted to this thread which has been running a while now.

So talk to Acrons Live Chat. Sorry I have not been able to solve your problems.

17. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

indecks:

Your photo shows that you have clicked on the "laptop.tib" folder. Are you able to click the drop-down arrow to the left of the folder to open it? If it opens, do you see the three split files inside? If you click on one of the splits, does the "OK" button now work?

If the recovery CD version of the program does not work this way then yes, you definitely need to contact Acronis Support. Try their Live Chat on the Acronis web site.

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

indecks,

Since the archive has been moved by means of Windows Explorer, these changes should have been added to the internal program database.

Launch the program -> Manage and restore -> At the right upper corner click on the Browse button -> Browse for the archive location -> OK. If the added archive doesn't appear at Select backup to restore window, you should restart the program.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.