Restart Firefox to complete unknown changes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

While surfing the web today I happened to look in Tools>Add-ons in Firefox and found a message at the top of that window stating "Restart Firefox to complete your changes." I am used to seeing this message after having updated an extension. The problem... today I haven't updated anything. I also have all automatic updating turned off. I guess if I had restarted FF without having looked in Add-ons first I would never have even known changes were to be made upon restarting.

Has anyone else by chance experienced this? Is this perhaps some bug in v3.5.5? If not and a change in FF is going to be made it would sure have been nice to get a pop-up from FF advising me that something was trying to make changes.

Any thoughts?

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

OK, mystery solved. I found out that it was Mozilla changing the Windows Presentation Foundation plug-in to allow it to be re-enabled again if desired. Mozilla had previously disabled it and made it to where it couldn't be enabled due to security concerns. No big deal I guess that they made the change but they should really warn someone when they make changes to their browser instead of just doing it in the background. I was really stumped for awhile about the cause and a little worried it could be some type of malware that had made changes.

Mods - feel free to close this thread. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.