Restart Firefox to complete unknown changes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

While surfing the web today I happened to look in Tools>Add-ons in Firefox and found a message at the top of that window stating "Restart Firefox to complete your changes." I am used to seeing this message after having updated an extension. The problem... today I haven't updated anything. I also have all automatic updating turned off. I guess if I had restarted FF without having looked in Add-ons first I would never have even known changes were to be made upon restarting.

Has anyone else by chance experienced this? Is this perhaps some bug in v3.5.5? If not and a change in FF is going to be made it would sure have been nice to get a pop-up from FF advising me that something was trying to make changes.

Any thoughts?

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

OK, mystery solved. I found out that it was Mozilla changing the Windows Presentation Foundation plug-in to allow it to be re-enabled again if desired. Mozilla had previously disabled it and made it to where it couldn't be enabled due to security concerns. No big deal I guess that they made the change but they should really warn someone when they make changes to their browser instead of just doing it in the background. I was really stumped for awhile about the cause and a little worried it could be some type of malware that had made changes.

Mods - feel free to close this thread. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.