Response from ESET RE: V4

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by HealingStargate, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

I am starting a new thread on ESET Smart Security issues.

This may give many of us some resolution.

This morning I received a email in response to my problems of NOT being able to access the internet after installing V4.

The response:

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care.

We are currently working on a fix on some of the issue we are having. We do apologize for any unconvince.

2. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

Thats it ??

o_O

3. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

Notice that they say some of the problems. Looks like we have a long way to go before we have a working version

4. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

I did notice that... :cautious:

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

They've released a few in-house private testing builds (I'm using one), but I'm not sure if they will go ahead and release one, nor do I know if your problem is "fixed" in one of them.

6. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

Well I look at this way, it WAS a response and seems to admit their are problems.

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I note they apologise for being unconvince :), oh how a bit of lapsus lingae can change the whole meaning of a sentence.

Colin

8. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I accept that there are drop outs on the internet but in most other areas, this program works very well. Since V4 has been released, I have changed a business over to it which previously had Nod32 and Outpost and they are very happy as their network is working so much faster now.

9. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

I left ESSv3 for Comodo because of all the firewall problems causing BSOD's with Wanarp, ntoskrnl, etc on Win2Kpro; WinXPpro worked fine. I returned to try ESSv4 and found no BSOD's on Win2Kpro. Firewall is much better.

However, there seems to be problems with IDS periodically stomping on user defined rules. Also, the generic "Packet blocked by active defense (IDS)" in the log is poor because more detail should be available since categories are shown in "IDS and advanced options" I have received many "Detected DNS cache poisoning attack" in past but few now. I use OpenDNS and have no router so it's a false positive.

Turn on your two "Troubleshooting" log options (default:OFF) and see what's going on. I also turned off the two DNS predefined rules and created my own which I could log. I found that there is some infrequent ICMP traffic with OpenDNS which is blocked unless you place DNS Servers in Trusted Zone, which I don't want.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.