[Resolved] Error message on Windows shutdown

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Red_F, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_F

Red_F Registered Member

Hi all, and sorry to make my first post into one about a problem. But then again, that's what support forums are for ;)

I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64 RTM since a couple of weeks as a MSDN subscriber. Since SandboxIE is not, and will not be, supported on 64 bits OS's I installed Returnil 2010. After a few initial struggles with the beta's and the servers on Returnil's side all seems to be happily humming along.

There is one exception however. On shutdown of windows I always get the following error pop-up:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5753/returnilerroratshutdown.png

I can either tell W7 to force a shutdown, or click cancel shutdown - close the message box and shutdown again. In both scenario's the machine shuts down just fine. The popup is just annoying when i choose shutdown, walk away and return later to find the machine waiting for me to take action.

As I said, the OS is W7 Professional x64. The 'Users' folder is not on the protected (C:\Users) drive but on a different (D:\Users) one. Followed the standard procedure on changing registry keys with regedt32 before creating any users etc. etc. etc.

Any ideas or hints would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Fred

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Re: Error message on Windows shutdown

Hi Red_F and welcome to the forums :)

Please send the following files to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com and reference this thread in your message:

* C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    * C:\Windows\rvs3inst.log
    * MSINFO64 report**

**Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO64. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Thanks
    Mike

3. hursey013

hursey013 Registered Member

I am also experiencing this problem. It occurs when I relocate the Application Data folder from c:\documents and settings\user\ to a different partition that I created before I installed Returnil (d:\user\) - same error message as Red_F about Returnil not being able to find rvsgui.ini. If I switch the Application Data folder back to its original location on C:\ and update the registry to reflect that, the error goes away. I'm experiencing the issue in XP Home and Vista Home. Any help will be appreciated. I will get you the log files as soon as I'm in front of the computer with the error. Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  4. Red_F

Red_F Registered Member

Hi Mike.

I did some digging around the system.

• no rvs3inst.log for me, maybe not enough permissions during the install phase to allow writing?
    • For reasons known only to the Redmontonians, on W7 x64 we don't have msinfo64, but only msinfo32 instead... o_O
    • rvs3.log is there allright
    But even more usefull, I have made a log using SysInternals' Processmon for the rvsgui.exe process during windows shutdown.

As you can see on the snapshot http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1787/rvsguierror.png rvsgui is trying to access a roaming profile on drive Z:. I noticed another post on the forum mentioning problems with a drive Z: on an x64 system too.

I will send the logs and info to the address you supplied, with a reference to this thread.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  5. Red_F

Red_F Registered Member

This problem seems to be resolved in v3.0.6517.4958-REL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.