[Resolved] Blue screen problem

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by RedlanceEQ, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedlanceEQ

RedlanceEQ Registered Member

Hello,

I have Returnil Virtual System 2008 Personal edition (version 2.0.1.9002) installed on several of the machines used at my workplace.

It has been running smoothly but I have come to notice that when the computers get shutdown or restarted, the computer will go into a blue screen error towards the end of the shutdown procedure.

I first thought it was a problem for just one computer but after checking today, I saw that all the machines had this problem. Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Re: Blue screen problem

Hi RedlanceEQ and welcome to the forums :)

Are you

1. also using MacAfee?
    2. Activated the disk cache wipe option in RVS?

If yes, turn off the cache wipe in RVS and check the systems for stability (No BSOD). If this is not the case, please take me through a description of the systems affected, especially the similarities (same model? Similar software? Similar OS version? similar HW?).

What is the exact text of the Blue Screen? Also check your Windows event viewer for anything related to the error.

Thanks
    Mike

3. RedlanceEQ

On 1) no, I do not use MacAfee.

On the BSOD, I did not remember the exact text but I know it was not always the same.

On 2), I had a feeling it could be due to that. I tested with "drop changes" instead of wiping and did not get a blue screen. While I am happy I found the reason, it does give me another problem.

The reason we took Returnil was because of the cache wipe feature and not having it makes it a bit of a moot point if the session data is not wiped from the cache and can be found afterwards. Would there be a way to debug this?

4. RedlanceEQ

I took note of the end of the BSOD that I got yesterday, here it is:

Hope it helps.

5. Coldmoon

Can you describe this in more detail? Take me through your settings and then describe what is happening at shutdown:

What will also be useful is to get two reports from the systems having issues:

1. MSINFO32
    2. RVS installer report - for this, just download a current copy of the 2.0.1 installer from one of the mirrors on our site. If you still have a backup copy of the installed used on your systems, just use it rather than downloading a new one.

Drop the installer on the desktop and then double-click it to open the installation wizard. On the first screen (Welcome) click the "Report" button and then save the file (RVS_Report1, 2, etc). Send them to us using the support-tech email address with reference to this thread.

I have made the team aware of this thread and support will send them the log files.

Thanks

6. RedlanceEQ

I have the report ready but would need the e-mail to send it to. I have not been able to fnd it on the website.

On the shutdown procedure, the computer logs off and goes into shutdown (windows saving settings, etc). All is fine then, the settings get saved and the only thing left is the blue background of the windows XP logon screen. It stays for a little bit until the computer goes into a BSOD.

The BSOD I got yesterday was as follow:

7. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Please use: support-tech (at) returnil (dot) com to send the log files.

Thanks
    Mike

8. RedlanceEQ

Thanks a lot. I have now sent the log file. :)

9. RedlanceEQ

Just posting another BSOD that I got yesterday, which is different from the other two:

10. Coldmoon

Do the effected systems share a similar (same) type/model sound card?

11. RedlanceEQ

That is possible. I know that for 6-7 of them it is the same Dell Optiplex 170L model from around 2003-2004. They all have an integrated soundcard on the motherboard.

From what I could find by looking at the Dell specification for the hardware it is an Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio.

Hope it helps.

12. Coldmoon

Can you check for an updated driver for the card? I was doing some research on the file names and found a list of issue threads regarding crashes from that time period (2003). Though this may not be a causal factor, we should eliminate it if possible.

If they are still using old drivers, I would test this on one system first and then go from there if successful...

13. RedlanceEQ

I downloaded the updated audio driver from Dell and installed it on the machine. No luck though, still getting a BSOD although this time it was without a file being listed as cause. :(

14. Coldmoon

What is the text? Also, would you be willing to try the LAB version?

15. RedlanceEQ

About the same text that is in post number 6 in this thread. I did not take time to write it down exactly (sorry). :(

As for the lab version, that would be fine, yes. I could test it on a machine to see if it works there and then export it to others when I see it works.

16. RedlanceEQ

Another blue screen on shutdown yesterday. Here is the text:

portcls.sys is the file that comes up most as the error from what I can see.

17. Coldmoon

Just to confirm, that error is with LAB - yes?

18. RedlanceEQ

No, with the normal version.

Is there somewhere I should go to get the LAB version?

19. Coldmoon

20. RedlanceEQ

Okay, thanks a lot. I'll test it as soon as I can. I'm however leaving on business trip for a week so I guess it will have to wait until I get back.

21. RedlanceEQ

Hello, finally back and able to continue on this.

I have installed Returnil LAB on a test machine and it did not give me a problem on install. However, I need a license number as the one I had for my previous Returnil version does not seem to work.

The serial given by the program is: ~snip~ Please do not post your Serial number or code

Could a registration code be PMed to me? Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  22. RedlanceEQ

Sorry about posting my serial there.

How should I go about to get a reg code? I would like to re-secure the machine that is without Returnil atm ASAP. I really do not feel secure without the Returnil safety net. ;)

23. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Check your PM...

Mike

24. RedlanceEQ

Thanks a lot. The serial was installed and works.

I now have enabled Returnil and made it so the session lock goes on at the Windows boot and that all changes get dropped on shutdown and reboot.

So far it has worked well and I did not get a Blue Screen.

But... does this means that the changes get wiped in full or do they just get dropped, without wiping? If not wiped, how do I enable it? I could not see any option for that in the program or manual.

25. Coldmoon

The cache wipe is not available in the LAB version as it was designed as a custom build for a current customer who did not want the wipe feature and includes the multi-partition cloning which they did want and many users have been requesting be added. The important part here (and the objective of this test) is that the virtualization is working properly on your system.

Look for the cache wipe to be "re-added" as we go forward...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.