resizing destination hard drive ...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sawgood, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sawgood

sawgood Registered Member

Hi:

I have been a power Ghost user since its days as freeware/shareware in the mid 90s. So, after about 8-10 years, I have switched 3/4th of the way over to this GREAT product Acronis True Image 8.0.

I currently own TI 8.0 build 826, and I use Win XP Pro SP2.

I have been practicing making, restoring, and working with the TI 8.0 .img process.

I have a question that I can't seem to locate the answer to ....

When I am using the Acronis TI 8.0 'bootable CD' to RESTORE an image to a laptop that is stored on a networked PC, is there any way to RESIZE the destination partition on the laptop (making it bigger or smaller)?

So far, I have not been able to do this. I've tried finding it in the menus, I've tried wipping the laptops partition out before using the bootable CD, and I've tried creating new partitions on the laptop before using the CD.

I just can't seem to figure out how to make the destintation partition bigger/smaller when using the bootable CD-R ....

Any help, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Peace

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sawgood,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you restore an image archive of the entire hard disk including the master boot record (MBR), then you cannot resize the partitions. There are two possible workarounds, if you need to restore the partitions with resizing while the MBR is also restored.

- Restore the entire hard disk without resizing and then restore each of the partitions separately setting the proper size for it and overwriting the previously restored one.

- Restore the partitions separately resizing them and then fix the MBR manually:

Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. sawgood

sawgood Registered Member

Hi:

Thanks for your reply, but after reading it I was still a bit confused ...

Can you try and re-word when you said:

- Restore the entire hard disk without resizing and then restore each of the partitions separately setting the proper size for it and overwriting the previously restored one.

If I 'restore' the entire hard drive without resizing ... how can I THEN restore each partition separately? Unless you mean to tell me to do TWO seperate restores? Which would mean that after the initial restore was done, I would run a 2nd exact restore ... but on that 2nd attempt ... I would choose just do restore a partition and NOT the entire drive .... and if that is the case ... maybe when you restore a partition and NOT an entire drive ... you can choose the size of the destinationo_O

I'm somewhat more confused then before ... It would seem that Acronis would have a solution for what it is that I'm trying to do because it is a more then common activity one does when re-imaging ...

NEXT:

You said:

- Restore the partitions separately resizing them and then fix the MBR manually:

So, does this mean, if I had an image on a networked system ... and a destination that has an empty hard drive ... that if I use the bootable CD on the destination side .... that I should choose NOT to restore the entire hard drive, but rather a single partition of the image? If that is the case, then can I choose to resize that imaged partition .... to make it bigger or smaller then what it is inside of the storage imaged on the networked system?

Thanks in advance!

NOTE: I asked these questions because I plan on using TI 8.0 as my main source of image software, and quit using "Ghost" after nearly 10 years.

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

sawgood, I would say that you have understood it perfectly, but perhaps it is best to wait for confirmation from Irina.

Personal note: I am bit surprised that it is not possible to resize when restoring a complete disk. Sounds like a nice feature that should not be too difficult to implement.

5. Acronis Support

Hello sawgood,

1. You restore the entire drive, then restore each partition separately (choose make restore a partition and not the entire drive). When you restore a partition you can choose the size and location of the restored partition.

2. You restore the one partition (should choose to restoe a single partition of the image), then restore the second partition. After that you should fix the MBR manually.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokvoa

6. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

im a bit lost here.

when i do a clone disk from 160 gig to 40 gig it asks me do i want to resize partitions on destination or leave it on auto!!

So if i resize it on destination say 50% C: 50% D: then format sorce disk, recover from cloned backup then my 160 gig sood be partitioned as 50/50

YES/NO I havent tryed this but only problem i can see is the MBR witch can be fixed!!!!

:rolleyes:

7. Acronis Support

Hello tronic592001,

Yes, if you clone your hard drive and resize it (for example 50/50), then create the image of the cloned hard drive and restore it on 160G drive, your drive will be partitioned as 50/50.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The operative words here are "Imaging" and "Cloning".

If you create and restore an "Image" then the only way to resize the destination partitions is to follow Irina's advice. i.e. Restore the whole disk by checking the tick box against the destination drive letter (thereby ensuring the MBR is also restored) and then repeat the restore process but this time restore each partition separately. Alternatively, as Irina says, restore each partition separately (hence allowing you to resize the partitions) and then use your Windows installation disk to "fixMBR".

On the other hand, when "Cloning" one drive to another you are presented with the option to resize the destination partitions, either automatically (proportionately) or manually.

Regards

9. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

Irina thanks for reply, two all as well.

Why image the cloned drive why not just restore it on the master drive.will you not still get 50/50!!

and will the MBR need to be fixed, Im one of them people who got windows xp preinstalled on my drive, but ive got the MBR fix from this site.

PS So why buy a partitioning program when you can use Acronis !!!

:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.