Resizing corrupted partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ili, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ili

ili Registered Member

I have a laptop with a 40GB hard drive with a 40GB NTFS partition on it, 10GB full 30GB free space,
    the hard drive have bad sectors in it, I made an image of the disk to a removable USB hard drive with "Acronis True Image Echo Workstation" from the bootable CD, then ween I tried to restore the image to a new 30GB hard drive Acronis couldn't reduce the size of the NTFS partition to fit in the new disk and don't let me restore to it (the hard drive is grade out) also ween I look on the partition in the image it market withe a reed "C" sign (corruptedo_O ) on it.
    the image weigh abut 22GB (normal compression).

how can I get rid of the reed "C" sign on it so I can restore the image to the new smaller hard drive?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

See the problem?

If the image is 22GB with normal compression, the uncompressed size would be 33-45GB. That won't fit on a 30GB drive. If you want to restore this image, you will have to install a larger hard drive.

Clearly, this 22GB image is not an image of a 40GB drive that has only 10GB used.

Run CHKDSK C: /R on the 40GB drive. This will mark the bad sectors so that you can make a new image. The image with normal compression should be 5GB to 8GB in size. That will easily restore to a 30GB hard drive.

Does this make sense to you or have I misunderstood something?

3. ili

ili Registered Member

I can't run CHKDSK on the old hard drive it fails I think the disk is pretty much dead...:p

I want to restore the Image to a Hard disk that Is bigger then 40GB and run CHKDSK on it, re image it and restore it to the 35GB disk but I don't have one available
    So as alternative I mounted the image on my PC with Acronis in read/write mode and tried to run CHKDSK on the mounted partition but it gave me "not enough free space to restore FILE NAME..." in CHKDSK.
    I think CHKDSK cant run correctly on a Acronis mounted partition:(

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Sounds pretty bad if CHKDSK won't even run. Can you copy any data files off the drive? At least, you might be able to save some data.
    That's what you need to do. Just be sure that when you reimage that you select a partition with less than 30GB used so that it will fit on the smaller drive.
    You are correct. CHKDSK doesn't understand virtual drives (Acronis mounted images).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.