Resize RAID5 system partition problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by grdne1, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grdne1

grdne1 Registered Member

I have a COMPAQ Proliant ML350 server with Windows Server 2003 Std SP1
    Controller: Smart Array 641
    Disks: Three 36GB SCSI in a RAID5 setup split into two logical drives

Logical Drive 1= System
    Logical Drive 2= Data

My system partition is very low on space and I would like to resize it using the free space from my data partition. I am having trouble using the boot disk created from the latest build of Acronis Disk Director Suite to accomplish this.

I select the full product on boot. I select the Create Free Space Wizard, select the system partition as the partition to create the space on, and it will not show the data partion as a partition to pull free space from. It only presents the system partition to pull free space from.

I have resized the data partition to create unallocated space. Same results. I created a partiton from the unallocated space. Still have the same results.

Does anyone have a solution?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello grdne1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/my/products/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

After you decrease the data partition are you able to increase the size of the system partition? Have you tried to perform the operations under Windows?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. grdne1

grdne1 Registered Member

I have the latest build. Thanks.

I have resized the partition. Decreased the data partition by 10GB at the beginning of the partition. I tried to use the unallocated space and then made a logical partition from the free space. Both have given me the same problem.

I have not loaded the software on the operating system, yet. This is a Domain Controller and I am conservative, but desperate. I do not want to rebuild this box.

It seems obvious that the next step would be to load it on the OS, but I am trying to research all aveneus before to make sure I am not doing something wrong. Have you encountered situations where the boot disk would not work, but the package loaded on the operating system would?

FYI: I started a support ticket last week and e-mailed a report in. Thought I would try here as well.

Thanks,
    grdne1

4. Acronis Support

Hello grdne1,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply? Usually Acronis Bootable CD and the program under Windows work similar. I will look at the report you sent and will try to help you with the solution.

Could you please clarify what error message you get when trying to increase the size of system partition (please note that you don't need to create new partition using the unallocated space).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. grdne1

grdne1 Registered Member

[Acronis #322253] Support

I am not getting an error message. Below are the steps I went through.

I boot the server from cd. I select the full product. I select manual interface. I select the Add Free Space Wizard. Select partition C: to add free space to. The next screen shows only C: to pull free space from. It doesn't present the other partiton as an option to pull the free space from.

Thanks,
    grdne1

6. Acronis Support

Hello grdne1,

Please try an alternative approach:
    1. Boot with Acronis Bootable CD (full version);
    2. Choose Manual Mode;
    3. Right click on the data partition and choose "Resize" option;
    4. Move the front border of the partition to decrease the size of the data partition and press the "Ok" button;
    5. Right click on the system partition and choose "Resize" option;
    6. Move the end border of the partition to increase the size of the partition.

After that please commit the operations in "Operations" -> "Commit" menu.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. grdne1

grdne1 Registered Member

It didn't work.

In the MMC Disk Management Console my drives are listed as Disk0 and Disk1. Disk0 being system and Disk1 data. I bet this is what is causing the problem. The engineer who designed and setup this box used the RAID Controller setup to split the RAID5 Array into what looks like two independent disks instead of making one RAID5 array and using the OS install routine to partition it.

For Example:
    I have an application/print server with an IDE RAID Controller in a RAID1 setup using two 40GB HDD. I used the OS install routine to split the drive into two partitions. In the MMC it has Disk0 split into two partitons (C: & D:). I bet your software would work flawlessly with this.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    grdne1

8. Acronis Support

Hello grdne1,

Please make the screenshot of Disk Management window for that please right click on "My Computer", choose "Manage" -> "Disk Management", then maximize this window, make a screenshot and send it to support@acronis.com. Also please describe how your RAID is made.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova.

9. grdne1

grdne1 Registered Member

OK. I e-mailed it this morning.

Thanks,
    grdne1

10. grdne1

grdne1 Registered Member

I have to assume from the lack of replies here in the support forum and the same for the e-mails I have sent in the last two days to support@acronis.com that you do not have an answer to this problem.

I will pursue another solution.

Thanks for trying to help.
    grdne1

11. Acronis Support

Hello grdne1,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response. Konstantin sent the reply to you.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

12. danv

danv Registered Member

What was the solution?

I am having the same problem.
    I have a RAID ARRAY of 2 virtual disks.
    Using RAID 5.
    Windows 2000 Server and Dell Poweredge 2500.

I can't increase the c: drive (Virtual Disk 0) taking from the D: drive (Virtual Disk 1). It only allows me to take from the 32 MB Dell System drive on the Virtual Disk 0 which is not an option :)

Please advise, the server is down.

thanks

13. Problem solved.

Since I added a drive to the partition I had to use Dell Array Manager to re-stripe the RAID 5 partition first. Then if there was unallocated space I could use Acronis to move free space from D: drive (Virtual disk 1) to the c: drive (Virtual disk 0).

14. ssalter

ssalter Guest

I dont mean to jump on a thread but i have the same problem here and if there is any other info on this i sure would appreaciate it. raid5 with 3 73GB drives. im looking at the array manager now but could use some help as well.
    cheers

15. ssalter

ssalter Guest

hey again,
    I just resolved my problem and used the Acronis disk director suite to resize my drives. it was a little easier (brand new system) but I deleted one of the drives partitions and realocated the unalocated space to the required drive and repartitioned the unalocated space. done and no problems.
    hope this is of some help to someone.....
    Cheers

16. Acronis Support

Hello ssalter,

I am very glad to hear that you have resolved your problem. If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.