Resident Shield

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by goodgame, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodgame

goodgame Registered Member

whenever i try to activate the resident shield, it says "Failed to activate resident shield." Here's what it says in my error.txt
    Error: create guard-service failed, Value: 00000430, Position: .\installation.cpp, 111

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

yeah mine does that also. I think it's a bug in version 4. I tried re-installing version 4 to see if it helps but it don't.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No problem here, so i doubt it's a bug. Keep looking. Why the double post notageek?

4. constitutionier

constitutionier Registered Member

Resident Shield only works for me when I am logged in under the administrator account (under which it was installed). When I log in under a user account for normal use I get a similar message and cannot activate it. I think it might be a user account bug.

5. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hum,

it should be already active. This is a strange thing. Do you have other problems too?

Regards,
    Vinzenz

6. Dazzuko

Dazzuko Registered Member

Mine is inactive and comes up with exactly the same error, could this be because I'm running a similar service at the same time? (Spyware Terminator) maybe they're conflicting?

Dan.

7. luckypro06

luckypro06 Registered Member

I cannot activate it too.It's really a bug?Or it conflict with my Out Post Firewall or Norton Anti-Viruso_O?

8. xim

xim Registered Member

I also have this problem while running the trial 4.0.0.172. (15 days left) with no way to reactivate the shield manually. It worked fine a few times, but will no longer respond from the tray or interface. I can find no way to set it active on reboot/restart. I even stopped it starting with Windows, but still it refuses to activate on manual run.
    Manual scans appear to be working unless some malware is deactivating ewido? Nothing turns up with Norton or Spybot.
    I am on the user account where it was installed. I've also noticed that the CPU usage is rather high on occasion (varies from 3-30% on 2GHz P4 768 RAM (my reason for disabling it)) even though scanning is deactivated. There is also similarly high CPU used when the Main Window is open.

I haven't tried a complete reinstall. Anyway, there is some erratic behaviour for some reason.

9. xim

xim Registered Member

Sorry, for the double post, but there's no edit feature.
    Anyway, I finally got back to this and reinstalled ewido over the old install and reactivating the shield is functioning again.

10. jubabeast

jubabeast Registered Member

I bought the product then found out that I can't get the shield to activate. I've reinstalled it four times, uninstalling it beforehand in most cases and once I even went through the registery and cleaned out all ewido references.

I've also removed all possible resident processes before installing it and again before trying to activate it. I deactivated my firewall and anti-spam but didn't remove it entirely, I guess I could try that but it seems like overkill. Who knows?

I've tried to get Tech Help, but they don't seem to respond. I've kind of run out of ideas.

11. souwalker

souwalker Registered Member

HI
    Has Ewido sort out the issue where the Resident Shield turns itself off after awhile or not at all at startup besides having the option checked? I am trialling Ewido and it's great. I want to purchase it but reluctant if this bug is still present.
    The icon in the sys tray is grey when the resident shied is off.
    Thanks
    Pat

12. btman

btman Registered Member

Never had that error but now I do with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5

13. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i can't even turn mine on

14. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Do you have an error.txt? logfile.txt? Any error message?

15. Bronx Bunny

Bronx Bunny Registered Member

I have this problem too

At several points during the day the ewido icon in the bottom right corner of my screen will turn from orange to grey, and if I right click on the icon I see the resident shield is no longer ticked. I re-tick it, but it will go grey again in a few hours.

Is this casued by conflict with another process? I have Norton, AVG anti-virus and Kerio Firewall. I see there is a resident shield in AVG anti-virus - could there be a conflict between it and the ewido anti-spyware resident shield?

I also see that the "start with windows" is unticked when I right click on the icon, despite the fact I regularly tick it, like the resident shield it seems to untick itself for some reason?

16. peter.ewido

This could either be caused by a bug (please try AVG Anti-Spyware and see if it is fixed there) or as you said a conflict with other software.

17. Bronx Bunny

Peter, thank you for your reply. Do I have to pay for the AVG anti-spyware that you mention, because I don't think it is free? Or am I wrong?

18. peter.ewido

No, it's a free upgrade for all ewido customers :)

19. Bronx Bunny

I only have the free version of ewido anti-spyware (the trial version) so I'm not sure if I am considered a "customer"

Can I still upgrade to the AVG anti-spyware that you mention, and if so, how do I do it?

20. Bronx Bunny

ok now I understand - AVF anti-spyware is the renamed and updated ewido anti-spyware

will downlaod now and see if it the problem is solved, thanks

21. btman

btman Registered Member

There u go

Error: Failed to enumerate process modules, Value: 00000005, Position: .\ProcessViewer.cpp, 705
    Error: No process information available, Position: .\ProcessViewer.cpp, 722
    Error: Failed to enumerate process modules, Value: 00000005, Position: .\ProcessViewer.cpp, 705
    Error: No process information available, Position: .\ProcessViewer.cpp, 722

thats in my error .txt... and will you be changing ur guys's names from like peter.ewido to... peter.grisoft or something?

trial has 29 days left... but guard won't go on lol

22. vonvon

vonvon Registered Member

Good evening

I have the same problem, I download the new version, AVG ... and now, the resident shield don't works. (it turn itself off and it's impossible to activate it !

What to do ?

(Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.303) - win xp personnel fully updated.

23. JayBoogie

JayBoogie Registered Member

The same problem just started with me last night, when i downloaded AVG anti spyware, and now it won't go away :mad:

24. JayBoogie

JayBoogie Registered Member

I disabled all my other applications that it could have interfered with, and still the same problem.....

25. peter.ewido

vonvon & JayBoogie: What about your logs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.