Resident Shield deactivates itself

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by dazenknights, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dazenknights

dazenknights Registered Member

I occasionally open AVG Anti-Spyware and discover that the resident shield is inactive. Since it is never the case that I have intentionally deactivated it, what might be causing this to happen?

2. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Full/Trial? Do you have a file called "logfile.txt" and/or "error.txt" in the program dir? Thanks! ;)

3. dazenknights

It's trial.

When I turned on my computer this morning, it was deactivated again. This time (unlike previous times) the tray icon is grey.

I have a logfile.txt, and its complete contents are, as follows:

synchronize database and filecache
    RegQueryValueyEx failed, Value: 000000EA
    Timer deletion failed, Value: 000003E5
    Timer deletion failed, Value: 000003E5

4. ezywriter

ezywriter Registered Member

I just joined the Forum because of the same problem with my trial version.

It happens frequently to me. The only thing is that I am using the Windows screensaver which I never used to let activate.

My logfile only has an s in it;
    s

Nothing else!

I check for updates daily.

I am running the AVG full AntiVirus and Firewall.

Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Thanks.

5. dazenknights

Hmmm. No answer to this problem? A protective application that turns itself off without warning from time to time isn't very good and certainly not worth purchasing. I'm glad that I didn't pay for it without giving it a trial run first.

6. ezywriter

Please understand that questions are easy - it's the answers that take time, research and checking.

I want an answer for this as much as anyone but I want an answer I can rely on.

Sometimes, it is not easy to replicate the problem becaue it might be a misconfiguration with our computers or our installation of the package.

But, I still want the answer yesterday - just that I realise that desire is unrealistic and complaints at this point are unreasonable.

7. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

could it be that your trials have expired ?
    the guard is a feature of the paid version...

8. ezywriter

Mine has 21 days to go.

Wonder if all the downtime will be added on to the end (I'm only joking!).

9. dazenknights

I have fourteen days left on my trial. When I turned my computer on this morning the resident shield was deactivated, so I manually turned it on. Then I turned off my computer, turned it back on again, and this time AVG Anti-Spyware loaded with the resident shield active. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Not good at all.

10. ezywriter

My computer is usually left on and Ewido seems to deactivate itself.

I've got a lot going on, so I am not sure if there is some event that might be linked to it turning off but it is of great concern since Ewido has such a good reputation and I'm very happy with the AVG anti-virus and firewall.

I can't leave this program on my machine for much longer if it isn't reliable.

11. dazenknights

Have patience. The AVG folks apparently don't consider unreliability to be a priority problem. My AVG Anti-Spyware hasn't turned itself off for almost a day now. :p

12. dazenknights

Well, my patience just ran out. I turned on my computer this morning and found that AVG Anti-Spyware started up with its resident shield deactivated again. I don't see much sense in finishing the trial period, much less purchasing the product, since it is clearly defective and no support is offered here to address the problem. I began this trial with high hopes, but there are many alternatives. ~removed un-necessary non ewido support remark....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  13. souwalker

souwalker Registered Member

I was trialing Ewido 4 a little over a month ago and the resident shield deactivates itself. Since the expiry of the trial period, I am now trialling AVG AS for the 5th day and last night the resident shield did not start along with the other services.
    I thought this issue was resolved with this AVG version?
    Rgds
    Pat

14. dazenknights

It clearly hasn't been resolved. And the support staff here seem unable to say anything about it, much less do anything about it. I've switched to ST.

15. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The problem is, that no one of us was abled to reproduce it so far. We changed things where we thought that it maybe could be the reason for this, but it seems that we've failed. :(

However we still don't know how to enforce that problem, and as long we cannot enforce it we can not know what is the reason for this bug :(

We're really sorry for this inconvenience.

BR
    Vinzenz

16. dazenknights

Thanks for finally getting back to us to this deactification problem, because it is a serious issue for anyone who happens to experience it. However, if you cannot reproduce the problem for yourselves, I can understand how it would be very hard to determine what might be causing it. In my experience, it seems to be deactivated only (occasionally) at startup (of the computer). That is, it doesn't suddenly deactivate itself during a computer session. It may involve some kind of conflict with some other startup item . . .

17. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Does any type of error message show up in the system event viewer when this occurs?

START>RUN eventvwr.msc

18. petteer

petteer Registered Member

Yes, there's an error event in System branch:
    "The ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard service failed to start due to the following error:
    Access is denied."

My account type is admin.
    This happened after uninstalling Ewido 4.0 and installing AVG Anti-Spyware. When I changed back to Ewido 4.0, this issue is still present.

19. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Perhaps that will provide a clue for the ewido techs.

You might also try disabling the "Indexing Service" in your system services...reboot...and see if it permits the guard service to startup.

START>RUN and type in services.msc

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  20. juspassinthru

juspassinthru Registered Member

I too have experienced the self deactivation of resident shield. My computer is on 24/7 and I notice it has deactivated after my screen goes dark from inactivity. More times than not, it has deactivated when I resume activity.

Is this a regional thing? I'm in Las Vegas, NV and not very computer hip.

Thanks for any help.
    jpt

21. dazenknights

If so, a pretty large region. San Francisco Bay Area here.

22. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

I had this problem too , but something else bothers me
    After starting Windows , I do not have the Ewido icon in the sys tray , although
    I have its processes in the Task Manager.
    I just run it manualy , and after closing the prog. , the icon shows in the sys tray.

23. JudTn

JudTn Registered Member

I too have had these same problems. I installed trial Ewido 4 night before last which I had downloaded on another computer a few weeks back. But most curious, the bubble just now popped up from the task bar and said Ewido was just updated. The Logo was grayed out. I opened it and the Resident Shield is inactive. So an update turns it off? This is NOT very good/safe.:(

Ialso notice while I was browsing these forums last night that it had turned itself off.

With this issue I don't know if want to update to AVG 7, let alone pay for it.

WindowsXP SP2,ZoneAlarm free, Spybot S&D.

24. souwalker

souwalker Registered Member

I've uninstalled all trial versions 4/7.5 on my home PCs and now am using SuperAntispyware.
    Rgds
    pat

25. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

..........I have the last version of Ewido , paid subscription. I created a new user guest account the other day and another account for a family member. I noticed on both these accounts when logged in that the resident shield is deactivated. However when switching back to my account all is well. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.