Reseller dumps DrWeb

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

My DrWeb license runs out in 3 more months. In planning ahead to renew my license, I discovered that the reseller where I licensed DrWeb Workstation for $25/year has dumped DrWeb, as recorded by the notice at...
    http://advancedforce.com/antivirus/613.php

The 25 euro/year site {drweb . imshop . de} is also gone. The lowest price I could find anywhere for DRW's workstation version with updates for 1 year is now 40 euro/year -- almost $50 US!

As much as I like DRW, I won't pay nearly double the price I paid before. Yes, I realize that there are other AV's that cost more than $50, but there are also several good AV's that aren't so expensive as DRW has become. {F-prot comes to mind.}

Does anyone here know of lower-priced source for DRW? If not, I have to start doing trials of other AV's -- which is not something I enjoy doing.

any suggestions &/or sympathy {sob} will be appreciated... bellgamin

2. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

3. bellgamin

@bibbe -- Thanks. I missed that link.

The link I had looked at was this one...
    http://www.drweb-online.com/en/order_drweb.asp

I do not know which English-language site to believe. The site I found says 40 euro/year {~$50} WITH updates, for "(Home Plus)" version.

The English-language site you found says $29/year for "Workstation" version, with availability and duration of updates UNspecified.

I wonder...
    > Why the difference in version names?
    > Why the absence of update info on the less expensive site?
    > Why have TWO English-language sites, with conflicting prices & differing edition names? Are they being tricky? Or are they simply inconsistent? Or am I missing something?

Beyond the pricing inconsistencies, I remain confused by all of DRW's edition names -- which include Light version, Home version, Home Plus version, Workstation version, PRO version -- with no explanation of the differences that I can find.

bibbe -- I truly appreciate your pointing me to the $29/year link. It's waaaay better than I was able to find. However, I hope that you or someone can shed some light on all the different prices & editions.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Bill;

Renewal price of $20 here; http://esd.element5.com/product.htm...56517&random=7df3ea1fa1856293a69b559330334c9f

Element 5 deal with the main Russian home site. I have used them in the past with no problems whatsoever.

You want the normal workstation version which I believe you have now. This is the full version shown on the site listed above.

Although it says you need to return your old license-key this was not case with me. However, since you used a different reseller for your previous license you may need to do this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  5. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Bellgamin, when I bought the workstation version, I got all updates for a year, even program updates.

bibbe

6. bellgamin

To Blackcat & Bibbe -- I deeply appreciate your help. I am VERY comfortable using DrWeb. Actually, I was rather distressed by the idea of possibly having to replace it. But -- thanks to you 2 -- that is no longer the case. My mind is at ease.

BC- the reorder source you gave me is pure gold! How in the world did you find it? I googled for several hours & found nothing that offered decent prices.

ATTENTION all real or potential users of DrWeb -- I suggest that you make a note of the link provided in Blackcat's post, above. It's a great one!

Aloha from Hawaii... bellgamin

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Thanks to all the posters in this thread!
    While my Dr.Web license doesn't expire untill the end of the year I appreciate the link.
    I bookmarked it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.