Researcher finds Georgia voter records exposed on internet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jun 15, 2017.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By Frank Bajak, Associated Press

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Election computers are NOT connected to the Internet.

Votes can't be hacked. More fake news.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

From the article, and it seems plausible (bold emphasis mine):

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

By design, election computers don't connect to the Internet for this very reason.

Hackers can do anything.

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

This is not fake news. It happened. Fake news is the kind you get on the TV.

6. compleo

compleo Registered Member

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

They might not be connected to internet but all that data aka:records info can easily (i assume) be siphoned off onto flash memory or a lappy at the very least, then fired out onto the world web.

I worked polling places and they series the total of machines to a single source (offline of course) (intranet) then do a printout of the tally.

It's one way the News snoops get their scoop to the local radio-tv but that is usually done at the courthouse where the units are gathered after everything is done for the day.

Where it goes after that is anybody's guess. Seems silly they didn't secure away the records after official tally to a private locale/system wherever, but it doesn't come as a shock with so many shady actors floating around these days.

8. RockLobster

@EASTER I watched a documentary about those polling machines, they were windows machines, the votes were recorded in a plain .txt file lol. The documentary showed how anyone with access to it could change the result tally and no one would know.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I honestly believe that. It's the PERSON(s) charged with that particular responsibility to see to it that tally data/results are managed and secured on the up and up, or sure, like anything else, access to it can be as simple as sticking a finger in the icing of a cake.

You guys know me and many are like me. I always wondered when I worked vote days IF someone with some clever device could gleen data from inside those units via a device designed to communicate with that particular vendor's electro-machine brand, IF the design makeup internally was such as could make that possible.

Seems i can't be around any device without always exhibiting in mind some great suspicion, unfounded or not :confused:

10. RockLobster

@EASTER if people like us can think of it, regardless of what it is and if it is possible to do it, you can bet your bottom dollar, someone, with something to gain by doing it, has already done it.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Couldn't have said it any better.

12. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

The case made (almost 10 years ago) for manually counting ballots––
    by Stephen H. Unger, 8/05/08

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~unger/articles/manualCount.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.