rescue media won't boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mr_Dove, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Dove

Mr_Dove Registered Member

I don't know how much detail I need to go into here. I tried to convert from Norton to Acronis about a year ago but I was never able to get the boot media to work on my system while the Norton Emergency Recovery disc has worked for me every single time.

Its really frustrating because I hate norton and the interface is terrible for me but so far the Acronis boot disc does absolutely nothing for me.

I'm hoping that the new version that I'm using has fixed whatever problem I was having before. I'm currently using "Personal 10".

I'm using the "create bootable rescue media" utility from within the program. When booting I hit F12 to get the boot menu and select CD Drive. I then get a message that says "booting to CD" and it just sits there....

I have several other boot discs that work fine including the Norton Recovery Disc and an "Ultimate Boot Disc" that I made a few years ago.

The Ultimate boot disc has never failed me. The Acronis boot files usualy only write about 45mb of data to the boot disc. Isn't there some version that can boot to any system no matter what?

2. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

'Personal 10' is TrueImage10? I think so.

Be aware that a Ti-rescue-CD starts a Linux environment.
    And Ti10 is not young and it is possible that the old Linux kernel cannot recognise your hardware.

What Hardware do you have (MB-chipset, IDE/SATA,..)?
    And what for an OS?
    What Build of Ti10 do you have?

But here are some users who use Ti10 anymore. And also with SATA-hdds.

Try following:
    Download the latest build from Ti10 from Acronis website (you have to register with the Ti10-key).
    Then uninstall your Ti10 and install the new build (if you have an older version).

Then create a new rescue-disk under Win. But not writing directly to a CD but create an ISO file.
    Burn the ISO file to the CD.
    And then try once more...

EDIT:
    If the boot fails there are possibilities to start with parameters. But we are waiting first to the result from above...

3. Mr_Dove

"personal" is another edition of True Image 10 although I'm not sure what features it may lack I'm sure its the most stripped down version. I didn't even find it listed on the Acronis web site. The build number is 4,955. It should be the most current. I just downloaded it yesterday.

I'm running windows XP SP3
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 965GM-S2 (Intel G965 Chipset Express)
    3 gigs of ram

My system Hard Drive is an IDE drive (Western Digital 250g with 6 partitions)

I have an SATA drive for general storage. (WD 320g with 4 partitions)

I'll give it a go with your suggestion above.

4. MrMorse

The last build (English version) of Ti10 Home is IMHO #4942 .
    (Can somebody from English spoken county look for the last version? I have the feeling I get only the German version numbers...)

1. what language of Ti do you have?
    2. WHERE did you download this (old) Acronis product?

5. Mr_Dove

Its the english language version downloaded from the UK Acronis site yesterday. They were giving copies away for free so I thought I would give it a try.

here's a link to an article talking about the special deal.
    http://lifehacker.com/5144248/get-acronis-true-image-10-free

I looked around a bit more on the UK site and they say that "personal 10" was the version immediately preceding "Home 2009" although I didn't find any info about the latest build number. I assume that since i downloaded from the Acronis site yesterday it should be the most recent version.

I tried the instructions you gave in your first post but it didn't work. I have a hunch that whatever its doing with the CD, its not actually making it bootable for me.

I actually tried it a few times with different ISO burning software.

1. Nero: Burning ROM
    2. Magic ISO
    3. Power ISO

none of them would boot at all for me. Lastly, I threw my Norton disc in and it booted up just fine.

Do I need to do anything special to make the CD bootable or does the ISO produced by True Image do that automatically?

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It should be done automatically. But from Acronis' track record, something was crippled, intentionally or otherwise, for that PE version. They are fond of breaking things that are fixed in previous versions.

7. MrMorse

@Mr_Dove
    I think that you didn't get an original Arcronis-software.
    But this has Acronis to confirm.

I can imagine that your version is not able to create a working ISO.

Open a request at Acronis website to check what a version it is.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I think it might be an old version of what is now called True Image Home, like maybe back around version 7 or 8. The "Free" version is a download trial that wil have most but not all of that version's features enabled. Unless you have really old hardware, you would probably want to use a newer version that can handle more newer hardware. I recommend Version 10 if you can find it, the last reasonably stable and debugged version of True Image, imo.

9. jura0001

jura0001 Registered Member

@MrMorse

I take it, acronis.co.uk is official enough.

@shieber

They offered True Image Home 10 4955 - full version, no trial.

Regards, jura0001

10. como

como Registered Member

Just a few thoughts

lifehacker.com is it a legit company?

I have just looked on Acronis UK site and can not find a mention of a free download of TI 10

The last UK build of TI 10 is 4942 dated March 12, 2007

I suggest you contact Acronis Support via Live Chat to check your version is legit

11. jura0001

The name "lifehacker" may sound suspicious, but I did not use their site, in fact never heard of it (apart from this very thread).

Personally, I just saw the announcement at acronis.co.uk which to me and to everybody else I guess is an OFFICIAL acronis site.

People who got their serial for TI 10 from that site where able to download this version via their normal acronis account (not even the UK account).

So everything looks official and legal.

acronis.co.uk even redirects you to your own national site.

Perhaps, this offer was only meant for a smaller group of people but this info was all over the internet and obviously people were hammering their servers.

I am still convinced I got a legitimate serial.

again: my build is 4955.
    Should I be worried?

EDIT:
    This is from acronis.co.uk, I don't mention the exact link (because it may not be welcome here) but anyway, this is what could be found at the official UK site:

"Register now and receive Acronis True Image 10 Personal Edition for Free!

Congratulations on choosing Acronis True Image 10 Personal Edition! Please take a few minutes to fill out the following registration form so that we can provide you with a product Serial Number."

Regards, jura0001

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  12. MrMorse

@jura
    ok, regarding your first post:

I recommend to contact Acronis' live chat or open an issue using Acronis website.

13. jura0001

Why? I see no need.

This was an official offer by acronis.co.uk and the password they supplied worked with my normal acronis account. So this was clearly, undoubtedly coming from acronis and no dubious hacker.

Lots of German web sites (not some hacker sites, but German magazines for instance) talked (and still do) about this campaign or whatever you may call it.

I have to correct my original statement somewhat:
    This Personal Edition doesn't appear to enable one to do a folder/files backup, but just imaging (but this is what I would always use anyway).

Regards, jura0001

14. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Acronis has given away older versions of TI before. Also, there was a free version of Seagate DiscWizard that was a limited version of TI 10 with the features you described.

When you make the rescue CD in TI 10, you can select the CD drive and not make an ISO at all. TI will just create a bootable CD. You can create the rescue CD on any computer. They are all identical.

Give that a try and then try the CD on other computers if it won't boot your system. If it boots others but not yours, it's probably a hardware incompatibility between the Linux rescue CD and your system. In that case, you need a newer version of True Image.

15. clackey

clackey Registered Member

I just bought TrueImage 2009 Home yesterday. Thr recover disk will not boot. It does not find the SATA DVD drive.

Since I am in the trial period, how do I request a refund?

16. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

clackey, I may recommend you to use our Live Chat service here in order to receive a technical support, we will help you. Also you can request a refund.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.