Rescue Kit 14 will not create bootable USB Flash under Windows 7

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by cgj, Mar 2, 2016.

1. cgj

cgj Registered Member

I have downloaded the Free Rescue Kit 14 and tried to create a bootable flash drive under Windows 7. As I understand it from reading the manual the process does not require ADIK/WAIK for use under Windows 7.

From the Users Manual-------

Use ADK/WAIK. When running under Windows 7 or later OS, Recovery Media Builder doesn’t require Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) or Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) to be installed in the system to build a WinPE-based environment, as it can directly use WIM image inside the operating system.

However, when I try to create the flash drive I get message saying something like "cannot find source WIM image and I can't go any futher."

I tried it on a Windows 10 machine and it created a flash drive OK.

What am I missing to be able to allow the building under Windows 7 to complete? Is the Users Manual in error?

Thank you very much.

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

If the ADK or WAIK is required, during the creation of the bootable flash drive there would be a window mentioning them where you'd either leave the default path or select another path. If that's not the case, it's a bug and you should submit a support ticket.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The WinRE does not exist in the Windows 7 installation, or the Paragon program can´t find it, or it´s daamaged. This Windows component is required to create the UFD when you don´t use WAIK/WADK.

Enter the command prompt and type
    reagentc /info
    to find out the location of WinRE, if any.

4. cgj

cgj Registered Member

Thank you Robin,

I did as you suggested and found it did not exist according to reagentc.

How can I go about getting it?

Thanks again.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It´s possible and easy to restore or re-create the WinRE, just search for the detailed procedure. You will need an installation or repair disc for Windows 7 SP1.

If you created a boot UFD with Windows 10 in another computer, you could try it in the Windows 7 machine. It may work.

Or, you could try Macrium Free to create a boot UFD. Macrium neither uses WinRE nor requires the full WAIK download. It uses a different procedure, a very good one.