Rescue Disk that can Repair Windows?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Right now on my Swiss-army USB, I have a copy of a repair disk for each version of Windows, XP through 7. However, this takes about 600MB of space. I only have 4GB on the drive. I want as much space free for other utilities and Linux distros.

I was wondering if there is some bootable Linux disk that would allow me to use the two most important utilities from the rescue disks: sfc /scannow and Startup Repair?

Thanks

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

3. mack_guy911

4. Brandonn2010

Well SARDU is just a way of creating a rescue USB. I need a utility I can add to a rescue USB, assuming there is one, and I already use YUMI for creating a multiboot drive.

5. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i think if you look up XBoot and Sardu they have lists of repair ISO's and one Hiren's Boot CD and there are a few others (ISO's) that have generic names like System Rescue CD iirc and those might have the apps you're looking for built-in.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

also, if you watch Slickdeals.net, flash drives have been dropping close to 50 cents/GB so, not too expensive to upgrade to 16 or 32 GB.

6. Brandonn2010

I tried Hiren's. It's basically like UBCD that I already use. I tried the Mini XP since it has a command line. However, even after switching to C: I still couldn't run sfc or bootrec. I am thinking no rescue disk will allow this because of licensing issues with Microsoft?

7. Brandonn2010

Well I booted from my Win 7 x64 ISO, and realized when trying to perform sfc, it gives the same message I always have gotten: There is a current repair pending, reboot and run sfc again.

So given that, it is almost pointless to keep the Windows repair disks anyways, if they can't perform the most critical repair function.

Also, I should have just asked, what do you guys use to repair Windows when you can't get into it? Do you just reinstall if it's that bad?

8. mack_guy911

there used to be BartPE but i guess its still needed windows to create repair disk

honestly speaking i reinstall fresh i run kaspersky live cd scan and backup my important data and do the reinstall

also you can create backup clone from fresh install there are many image creater free and paid :D

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Check this: Windows 7 - SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot

edit: good old days when it was possible to perform a complete repair from windows xp install disc... i wish that microsoft have kept that feature in WinVista/7/8.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  10. Brandonn2010

Hehe, I asked a similar question on Seven Forums and got linked to the same article on sfc. However, using the arguments from the article, I got a "Windows Resource Protection failed to Start the Repair Service" message or something close to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.