Request for some assistance for updating a Windows XP workstation to SP3

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fly, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

This is just an old workstation/computer that is only used for internet access.
    I prefer to keep my 'new' computer disconnected from the internet, it seems safer that way.

I've been quite satisfied with SP2 (home edition) for some time. I can always restore an image if something goes wrong.

Given the large amount of vulnerabilities since I stopped receiving updates for SP2 I'm considering migrating to SP3.
    The browser I use is IE 7. Consider it a bad browser if you want, but I know it fairly well and have tightened the security settings. I can't use IE 8's hardware protection (DEP?) anyway, so I prefer to stick to IE 7. Even if you want to suggest a different browser, there are still some issues regarding IE 7that need to be dealt with.

A couple of months ago (?) I updated this computer to SP3 plus all additional essential (?) updates. There were a few things I didn't like, so I decided to restore an image.
    One of the issues is about IE 7. Currently, I have no browser extensions loaded. Some are installed like Flash, but when I visit this website there are no active BHOs/browser extensions.
    Last time I 'upgraded' to SP3 I noticed some BHOs (and other stuff?), like something called Windows Live. I don't need all that junk. I want it 'clean'.
    Honestly, I can't be bothered to study every single update that has been released after SP3. If I migrate to SP3, how do I get/keep that junk out of IE 7 ?
    I don't need Silverlight, .NET, the Adobe installer etc.

Are there any geolocation issues regarding SP3 that I need to be aware of ?

Can anyone help me out ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Okay, maybe I asked for too much.

Perhaps this question is easier : if I were to install SP3 and all 'essential' (?) updates, how would I get rid of any BHOs and browser extensions for IE 7 after the installation ?

Currently, when I visit this website no BHOs or browser extensions are loaded.
    After my previous attempt to install SP3 plus updates I noticed a (Windows?) Live thing and perhaps some other 'things' as well as BHOs or browser extensions.

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi Fly

I don't know if this degree of granularity is what you're looking for...?

FWIW, I just disable all add-ons via the control within IE.

philby

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks philby, but I'd rather not hack the registry.

After 'upgrading' to SP3 plus updates I noticed the presence of a few BHOs/browser extensions/(?) that were not present before the 'upgrade'.
    I do remember a certain 'Live' thing but no other details.

Since I can restore an image I could just try again, but I was rather annoyed the first time, especially since I didn't know what they there were (for).
    It's a non-English OS so my translation will be somewhat crude: manage extensions (?) allows me to enable or disable extensions and there are actually a few that can be used by IE but when I browse this website nothing is loaded. I remember I got some junk after the updates and I don't like installing/loading junk I know nothing about (privacy/security). It just appeared and I don't know if I could disable those permanently, or what that junk could do even while apparently disabled.

A bit off topic: I still use a 'castrated' version of the Acrobat Reader (version 8.something) and for all its purported vulnerabilities I never got infected. Bypassing the Adobe download manager every time Flash gets an update is a bit annoying, it seems Adobe is trying to make that more difficult.

I'm referring to IE 7. A bit strange. For all the vulnerabilities, I never got infected in the past couple of months.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.