Request for some assistance for updating a Windows XP workstation to SP3

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fly, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

This is just an old workstation/computer that is only used for internet access.
    I prefer to keep my 'new' computer disconnected from the internet, it seems safer that way.

I've been quite satisfied with SP2 (home edition) for some time. I can always restore an image if something goes wrong.

Given the large amount of vulnerabilities since I stopped receiving updates for SP2 I'm considering migrating to SP3.
    The browser I use is IE 7. Consider it a bad browser if you want, but I know it fairly well and have tightened the security settings. I can't use IE 8's hardware protection (DEP?) anyway, so I prefer to stick to IE 7. Even if you want to suggest a different browser, there are still some issues regarding IE 7that need to be dealt with.

A couple of months ago (?) I updated this computer to SP3 plus all additional essential (?) updates. There were a few things I didn't like, so I decided to restore an image.
    One of the issues is about IE 7. Currently, I have no browser extensions loaded. Some are installed like Flash, but when I visit this website there are no active BHOs/browser extensions.
    Last time I 'upgraded' to SP3 I noticed some BHOs (and other stuff?), like something called Windows Live. I don't need all that junk. I want it 'clean'.
    Honestly, I can't be bothered to study every single update that has been released after SP3. If I migrate to SP3, how do I get/keep that junk out of IE 7 ?
    I don't need Silverlight, .NET, the Adobe installer etc.

Are there any geolocation issues regarding SP3 that I need to be aware of ?

Can anyone help me out ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Okay, maybe I asked for too much.

Perhaps this question is easier : if I were to install SP3 and all 'essential' (?) updates, how would I get rid of any BHOs and browser extensions for IE 7 after the installation ?

Currently, when I visit this website no BHOs or browser extensions are loaded.
    After my previous attempt to install SP3 plus updates I noticed a (Windows?) Live thing and perhaps some other 'things' as well as BHOs or browser extensions.

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi Fly

I don't know if this degree of granularity is what you're looking for...?

FWIW, I just disable all add-ons via the control within IE.

philby

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks philby, but I'd rather not hack the registry.

After 'upgrading' to SP3 plus updates I noticed the presence of a few BHOs/browser extensions/(?) that were not present before the 'upgrade'.
    I do remember a certain 'Live' thing but no other details.

Since I can restore an image I could just try again, but I was rather annoyed the first time, especially since I didn't know what they there were (for).
    It's a non-English OS so my translation will be somewhat crude: manage extensions (?) allows me to enable or disable extensions and there are actually a few that can be used by IE but when I browse this website nothing is loaded. I remember I got some junk after the updates and I don't like installing/loading junk I know nothing about (privacy/security). It just appeared and I don't know if I could disable those permanently, or what that junk could do even while apparently disabled.

A bit off topic: I still use a 'castrated' version of the Acrobat Reader (version 8.something) and for all its purported vulnerabilities I never got infected. Bypassing the Adobe download manager every time Flash gets an update is a bit annoying, it seems Adobe is trying to make that more difficult.

I'm referring to IE 7. A bit strange. For all the vulnerabilities, I never got infected in the past couple of months.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.