ReQrypt: free program for bypassing a local adversary

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MrBrian, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

hxxp://reqrypt.org/home.html

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I don't understand this. It encrypts outgoing requests but not the traffic that comes back to you? If the website is blocked wouldn't the inbound traffic be blocked?

3. tom1876

tom1876 Registered Member

Thanks MrBrian :)

i tested it on my system and it was able to bypass my ISP's censorship,which was blocking some websites based on the URLs in the packets.
    plus it is a very good tool if you dont want your ISP to log what websites you are visiting.:)

but one thing,can this app and the servers it is using be trusted?is there a chance of them diverting my requests to some fake website?

4. tom1876

No.this is not how internet works ;)

most of the ISPs(except those in china) only do packet inspection on the outgoing packets and not on incoming packets.because it is only outgoing packets which contain the the URLs.

it is a very smart concept to bypass BASIC censorship,but it is dependent on some servers to decrypt your requests.so if those servers go down for any reason then this app will stop working :(

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :).

I don't know the answer to your question. I didn't try it. I didn't realize that the program already has a list of servers that one can use with it. How many servers can one choose from?

6. tom1876

there are 2 default servers(or maybe just one but different ports) to which app makes UDP connections.one of them is for AES cipher and another one for xxtea cipher.i think there is a third one too which supports double encryption (aes+xxtea).

for some reason "Hide all HTTP traffic" won't work for me.other options work fine though.

I am not an expert of these things but this is how i think it works based on reading its help section and seeing things happening through commodo connections.

7. tom1876

can someone please check if it is working for them.it was working great for sometime but for last couple of months now it isnt.i dont know whats wrong because everything looks fine looking at the logs and settings.
    problem is when i turn it ON i am unable to access ALL websites on browser,not just those blocked on my ISP.so someone please check if they are able to access internet after turning it ON with default settings and hide URL option.

8. tom1876

it looks like server admins changed something to protect them from DOS attacks which resulted in reqrypt not working anymore.Author says that he will need to find another server for it but it is difficult to do so in 2014.
    it was so useful for me to bypass ISP blocks,they reset connection based on the hostname in the packets.is there anything that can be done to bypass such blocks?
    i tried deleting/editing hostname in packets using proxomitron but didnt work for many sites,worked for a few though.most websites demand hostname otherwise they dont work,not even with ip address. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.