repositories

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Since I installed the Google Chrome update from the repositories (security update) the update manager can not download all repository indexes.Mainly the google chrome indexes.I changed the server to ''main server'' but it did not help.Is anyone having the same problem?

Attached Files:

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

This issue was supposed to have been resolved a while back by Google. Are you using latest Google Chrome stable, I have the same on my PC but am not facing this issue. A month back a bug in Chrome would slow down Ubuntu repositories big time but thats gone by now. I suggest you download latest Chrome stable and do a sudo apt-get --pure remove google-chrome and also delete the profile folder in your home and reinstall to see if this issue goes away.

3. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok,I removed the Google Chrome.The update manager works now.But I will use Firefox from now on, because after uninstalling Chrome my system is quicker and more responsive as before.My PC did not like Chrome.
    I am also thinking to remove the adobe reader.When 2 tabs are open it freezes the system.I think the best applications are the ones that come with the default Ubuntu installation.

4. linuxforall

WOW! usually Linux shouldn't get speed issues by installing software as there is no registry to slow down but its interesting to see that Google slowed your PC down. Maybe you can try Opera as your alternate browser. Stick to 10.10 for now till final 10.60 is released. You are right about Ubuntu apps, they are tested thorougly by the devs before being made default even though many criticise Canonical for this.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

After uninstalling the acroread I had the same boot problem.I started with the rescue cd but it said that it could not find the core img(I made it yesterday- it is new) but after trying to start a few times there was a disk check and PC booted again.

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Hmmm...are you sure that your HD isn't the cause ?

7. cet

cet Registered Member

I do not have reallocated sectors, but I suspect the read error rate.But some say that those numbers are normal for Seagate HD's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  8. linuxforall

Your hdd looks fine to me but it sure looks like you got some other issues here not related to hdd.

9. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

yep, and it's not looking software related to me.....

If I had that PC the first things I would check are cables/connectors, HD, capacitors, power supply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

10. linuxforall

Exactly my thoughts.

11. cet

cet Registered Member

The last booting error was just after uninstalling adobe reader, and when the system booted there were some things written on the display and the last command was :initramfs> flashing.
    I did not know what to write at the command prompt.This was different from the boot error before.
    I will check the hardware soon.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If it's not the hardware, then why don't you just reformat and reinstall Lucid? Surely that's a lot quicker than spending hours upon hours trying to figure out some obscure issue...

13. linuxforall

Good idea.

14. cet

cet Registered Member

Now suddenly firefox closed.I had to boot again.

15. cet

cet Registered Member

So if I install Ubuntu again I will not format the home partition.I will only install on the formatted root partiton.But my root partition was 40 GB and I want to make it 20.So if I make the root partition smaller how can I add the spare 20 GB partiton to home without losing my documents etc.
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 4877 39165952 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 4877 5606 5859328 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda3 5606 60802 443359232 83 Linux

Root is 40GB
    SWAP is 6GB
    And the rest is home. I want to make root 20GB.Swap the same.If I resize the home partition is there any chance of losing the data on it.Or is it better to make 20GB root then 6GB swap then another 20GB partition and leave home as it is.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would wipe the entire thing clean and start over fresh. That means root, /home and anything else... you don't know where the problem lies.

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

There's always a chance that you'll lose all your data when you mess around with partitions. That said, I've resized a few times before and had nothing untoward happen to me.

Also, 20GB for root and 6GB for swap seem rather excessive to me. Depending on how many programs you install you can probably get away with 5-10GB for root (I have 4GB at the moment). And if you have 2GB RAM or more, you can most likely get rid of the swap partition.

18. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok, I backed up all my data documents etc to the external hard disk.If this boot problem happens once again I will reinstall the system.

I checked cables and connectors and found out that the outer cover of the PC was loose and I was hearing some noises from the fans.( do not laugh but once in a while I was hitting the cover to stop the noises)I think that when they changed the hard disk they did not shut the outer cover properly.Now I do not hear any fan noises and I closed the cover tightly.
    Also the hard disk cable was not tight enough.There was a loose cable on the motherboard I put it away.
    I do not know if that can be the reason.But no problems so far.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Keep your fingers crossed.... :)

20. linuxforall

Looked to me like a loose connection there somewhere and I too hit the case sometimes when the fan makes noises, that dislodges the dirt and they go quiet again.

21. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

its google chrome problem i also face it on my fedora what you can do is disable google chrome repo and try again and see

second you can backup your data and shrink your partition i did it 2 times without problem but i backup my data in case it cause the problem also from gpatred you can make new partition

3rd swap dont make more that 1 or 2 gb swap if you have 2 gb + ram

22. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

strange fact but true

many time i get trouble with fedora updating as cet said what i did is i try to update via yumex insted on default package kit and its works specially in google chrome case

i try yum update before didnt work

i also tried yum clean all

then yum update didnt work as well strange but it happen

i thought it might be problem of fast mirror but it wasn't because yumex updates from fast mirror

so solution i get from that day is try every possible options at end what matters job done

strange thing happens some times dont know what bug it is may be some broken in my yum repo or junk install or may be problem from server side or my astaro security gateway sever proxy problem .......but at end after update it resolves

also clean your symatic/pakagekit junks using bleachbit or my using command sudo apt-get clean or su yum clean all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.