Reports say avast! acting like a PUP?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DBone, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Pretty much. I mean, I haven't used it in a while, but who remembers the bottom half of the right side of their screens being filled with Avira free updates every single time? I'll take Avast's way all day long over that.

2. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Some info in this thread is misleading. PUP is not popup.
    Otherwise, Vlk, avast CPO, and Igor (staff) already stated the behavior of Google Chrome offer.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not quite misleading. People are accusing Avast of being ad-ware basically, which technically can be considered a PUP.

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

This is simple: it is a mistake from OP, avast detecting itself as a "Potentially Unwanted Program" is never mentioned in the forums, so you cannot expect to quarantine itself like he said. If that were true, users were reporting False positives.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im pretty sure he said it as a joke, not that avast was literally detecting itself as a PUP lol

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Which component is causing this issue?

7. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

From VLKs post it seems that if you do install Chrome during Avast install, and don't use it, you will get a pop up reminding you it's installed some time in the future.

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I guess my sarcasm button is broken. I was joking about avast! detecting itself.

9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Thanks for your sarcasm, but I think constructive critics are the better and possibly you agree with that. Cheers.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ppl should really learn what's really adware, PUP's and what's freeware software that's adware supported. avast! is none of that. It doesn't bundle any stupid toolbar or other junk. It does offer Chrome, but quite frankly, Chrome does in fact improve user security compared to toolbars that don't offer anything other than being utterly annoying.

As for the ads, well, one would think ppl already know that avast! Software has to live from something and if they were just giving everything away for free, they could soon close the offices. So instead, they started sending very rare ad popups about various things, either just some news about avast!, recommendation or a special offer. These popups are very rare and if you can't stand 1 or 2 non-intrusive popups per month (sometimes even less or none), then i wish you good luck with others. They usually offer less features, less settings and just the same ad stuff. We've discussed about the shift from 100% non-intrusive way that ppl got used to with avast!, to a current slightly ad supported method and how it will be difficult for some to accept, but you just have to understand that whole thing requires resources and workforce and they need to be somehow paid. There is no way avoiding that fact.
    It's in the end up to the user to accept or reject it. We can't force you into anything and if you feel that competition has something more to offer, we can't stop you. Everyone is free to choose. But i think this is a small and fair trade off for such a complete antivirus. I currently have AIS and i sort of don't like the ads in free edition either, but i understand why are they there and i'll just accept them when my AIS license runs out.
    I can assure you that ads will be kept at very possible minimum.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree with you, RejZor. I'm perfectly happy with my free Avast. Unlike evidently many others, I've never seen the thing show a single advertising pop-up to me. The only thing I never liked was the addition of the "Like" stuff, but, I never see it unless I'm screwing with settings, so I don't see much point in complaining more.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can even disable the ads, although nagging people about Chrome isn't good behaviour. They should decide their browsers, not the antivirus.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, well, we're past the point of no return with that. These days your choice is to either pay, use the free versions and accept the fact that you'll either be clicking check boxes or dealing with unwanted things, or, you can always pirate and hope A. It isn't infected itself. B. They pirated license key doesn't get shut down. C. The download doesn't turn into a digital doorstop because either A or B happened.

14. Technical

Sure. Why do you think avast is deciding anything here?
    You can opt for Chrome or not.
    You can set Chrome as the default avast browser or not.
    You have the freedom all the time.

15. Technical

You don't need to pirate avast to manage the free offerings and the so-called "ads" of the pro version (run, as said before, 3-4 times a year). You can configure avast.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think it was Shakespeare who said "much to do about nothing". I have been using Avast since V5 was first released, and have never experienced a pop up from Avast other than my definitions update. I think I remember being asked to download Chrome at some point when I had to re-install, so I unchecked the radio button. Let's have a show of hands of how many people have actually seen this much discussed pop up. I haven't seen threads this long for important stuff. :p

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Because it decides to constantly nag, if the reports are true.

18. Technical

What is avast nagging?
    The Pro version? Impossible, the campaign is run 3-4 times a year... I won't call it nag.

To analyze further, please, upload (attach) the avast log:
    C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\Setup.log
    or C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
    If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

3-4 times a year is still annoyingly purposeless, although I haven't seen it (maybe because of Chrome portable?).

20. Technical

They say it's a balance necessary to release the free version free of charge. They need some open door, and consider 3-4 a year an acceptable annoying for receiving such a wonderful program.

21. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I can. Just like everyone throws a huge fit when something is packaged with the Ask Toolbar. Same concept.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Chrome is already acceptably bundled. What's the point of nagging Chrome users?

23. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

I think the aim (whether accurately targeted or not) is to give Chrome non-users a nudge.
    avast! and Google cross-promote the use of each other's product. Chrome is of little use to Google if installed and but not used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.