Reporting Spam_How to know if will result in more

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by phkhgh, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

I recently started getting a LOT more spam on my "master" email acct I never use.
    Discovered some seemingly confused advertisers like Peoria VW, (for instance) think I live in places like Peoria (live 1000 mi away).

Don't report a lot of spam - do scams / fraud if can tie to a well known ISP.

Reading message source, one ad included link:

You recently registered with a network website to receive special online offers.
    To no longer receive messages, please
    use this link to remove your subscription
    (which gave link below):

hxxp://egroupconsumer.com/webforms/egroupconsumer/?lid=14691&mid=nnnnn&email=xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.NET (I removed real email).

Obviously, didn't register for this site. The site exists (didn't click link), but not much info or even link to report abuse. Of course, # 1 rule of security is don't click email links from unknown/ untrusted sources. BUT... if I reported many spam msgs, I'd be forced to send my email address to unknown ISPs, because I haven't heard of most.

That may result in more spam, not less. Or if I sent them to say, SpamCop or other, they might be sending my address to unknown sources - same issue. How do others handle reporting spam (or not) if it's NOT from an ISP like AT&T, Google, Yahoo, etc? Just del & forget?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.