Report: HP released faulty ProBook BIOS update that bricked machines

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Jun 10, 2024.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yet another reason why I won't be buying any HP laptops, but I wasn't going to anyway so I guess nothing changes. Unfortunately when BIOS updates are pushed through Windows Updates it doesn't ask. It just applies it when you restart. For that reason alone they should be totally liable for this.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

What laptop manufacturer you recommend for having a responsible and helpful customer service?
    TIA

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  4. xxJackxx

None are perfect obviously but in many years of business and personal use I have not had any real issues with Dell computers. We've had minimal issues with Toshiba laptops in the past as well but I have not kept up with them in the last few years. We've also had some ASUS laptops that have been fine, though I have found their desktops unreliable.

5. xxJackxx

HP staff allegedly blames Microsoft's Windows Update as firmware bricks ProBooks - Neowin

More minus points for trying to blame Microsoft for it.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Why would anyone want to update the BIOS in the first place, seems way too risky for me. And I didn't know these BIOS updates get installed automatically, what the hell? Yet another reason not to use Windows Update.

7. xxJackxx

Some of them fix critical security issues, some correct errors in the original code. There are valid reasons to update. It is not without risk but you can say that about anything. It is up to you to decide if that risk is worth taking. In most cases I run the update. If it does something worthless like changing the text description of a setting, I would skip it.

8. Rasheed187

I don't see any reason to update my BIOS, have never done this in 30 years of computing.

9. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I have updated my BIOS once, years ago. That was a BIOS update that was required to support a newer CPU that I bought.
    But I would never want it to automatically update.

10. Rasheed187

OK I see, so when you buy a new CPU you might have to update your BIOS, didn't think of that. But I also don't see myself ever buying a new CPU. I've only bought RAM and a GPU to replace defective ones. Luckily I never had to deal with a defective HDD/SSD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.