Report finds security tools add software vulnerabilities of their own

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.co...ols-add-software-vulnerabilities-of-their-own

2. guest

guest Guest

Sounds like a nonsense to me. Even if you don't install anything you still have vulnerabilities. True, installing other programs might increase your attack surface. But regarding security products, you are covered by the security features of the product itself. There are trade-offs for everything.

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Thanks, Ron
    An eyeopening report. It leaves you wondering which applications that one may be using can be truly trusted to be secure.

Regards,

Bob

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Duh. Been saying this for ages now. Security software is massive attack surface, it injects itself into tons of programs, and it buries itself into the OS. An attacker who wants into a system running Chrome doesn't need to do any fancy kernel exploitation or sandbox bypass, they can just go straight for the AV, which is stupidly injection some non-ASLR enabled binary that parses unfiltered input and get insta-admin.

5. guest

guest Guest

Never heard of Kaspersky Internet Security being exploited though. :p

6. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

AV for AV
    lol

7. Solarlynx

EMET 3.5 has 12 mitigations against exploits. Is it better to protect security apps as well?

8. No, I would only mitigate software running scripts/access to internet (browser, mail, media player pdf, office, etc)

9. Solarlynx

Thanx. Actually I shoved into EMET all my routine apps except security. Some apprehensions they can malfunction.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

I would also say that running multiple realtime anti-malware solutions compounds the vulnerability risk perhaps exponentially.

One example is Zemana's Anti-logger injecting .dlls into other anti-malware relatime prtotection to avoid "conflicts." I caught it doing the same to NIS 2013 SONAR protection.

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes: What do people expect? Security software is software. Any software will contains bugs. Any of these bugs can have security implications. Or, was anyone under the impression that security software is different from other software? The only difference is the security word in it.

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not surprised at all, another reason to stick to a basic 1st party setup. You don't see MSE loading non-ASLR DDLs.

13. guest

guest Guest

Sorry for being OT, but does Process Explorer also show us if a program uses ASLR or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes, as well as the DLLs it has loaded.

15. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

16. See picture

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.