Replacing Ghost... with what?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by no13, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I have GoBack and I'd like something with more customizability and options to back up to external media.
    Many people suggested FD-ISR from Raxco (www.raxco.com)
    FDISR doesn't support my FAT32 "data" drives... i can have my C: (NTFS) backed up... but that's it...
    Any other contenders for set-it-and-forget-it HDD backup/restore utils? Any free ones?
    Can any util help me with my RHL ext3 partition too? GoBack caused me to use a boot disk to use RHL... and me being afraid of harming Linux (being a newbie to the Linux phenomenon), I haven't seen RHL for 2 months now!

2. xyz123

xyz123 Guest

I don't know if this is something like what your looking for, you'll have to look into it some more. http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/rit.shtml it sounds somewhat like Go-Back. I'm looking into myself as a possible alternative to Go-Back and Ghost. Hth.

3. no13

treat this as a bump.
    I just got a CD (Re)writer (yaay! ~ finally)... and I'm looking for something like above, but now, it should support Samsung cdwriters (samsung-toshiba optical drive ;))

4. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Other programs you can look into are Novabackup and also Instant Recovery by Novastor. I'm not sure about FAT32 and they aren't free though.

5. Lou_Dinunzio

Lou_Dinunzio Registered Member

6. no13

Ok... let me rethink what I want...

ext2/ext3 backups possible
    backups on to hidden part of HDD, and optional to write on to CD
    Should work from both the MBR and windows
    singlefile replacement

Paragon seems to be near perfect. But its only a demo on the site. Not a trial. Anywhere I can see a fully featured trial?

7. Lou_Dinunzio

Lou_Dinunzio Registered Member

no13, Sorry if I mislead you. Did you see this on the site?

" Do you allow upgrades from competitor products on special terms?
    Yes, if you currently own a competing product, this is your chance to upgrade to an equivalent Paragon product with 50% off the normal retail price. Email (sales@paragon.ag) proof of purchase for the product you are upgrading from. Examples of acceptable proof of purchase include: a scan or photocopy of your manual cover or CD, sales receipt, screen capture showing your registration status etc.

8. no13

well, I have GoBack, but GoBack doesn't have any "registration" details or anything on screen and it was part of a bundle with some hardware (I think the HDD, but it was over a year ago, so the receipts etc. are *cough* *cough*)

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi no13

You can safely purchase from Paragon if you want to try a full version. I bought the full version, and couldn't get the boot disk to work on my computer. Their tech support was a bit slow on the uptake but finally responded. I was halfway thru the 30 refund period, and didn't have the time to do what they asked of me. I requested a refund, and it was cheerfully and immediately granted and processed.

Pete

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Go Back and Ghost are two different types of programs. Ghost is a true imaging tool. Go Back is nothing more than a snapshot of some, but not all, configurations at any given time. You can't really compare the two.
    Gerard

11. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi,

No true.

Ghost is a true imag[e]ing tool.
    Two different softwar[e] companys.

Before someone starts jumping up and down, this is ment as a Joke.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.