Replace software firewall w/ SSM or AppDefend

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by InfinityAz, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I'm behind a NAT router and currently run Kerio 4.x (free). Since I'm behind the router's firewall, Could I replace my software firewall with Appdefend or SSM (and if so, which would you recommend and why)?

Assuming I can replace the firewall, would I still be relatively safe using AppDefend or SSM with the XP built-in firewall during those times when I'm not behind the router (e.g., wireless connection, someone else's network, etc.).

Thanks for your help.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

SSM and AppDefend are "program/system firewalls" that allow you to control what applications can do on your system and as such, are intended to complement a software firewall rather than replace it. SSM offers no control over network activity while AppDefend's network access option is all-or-nothing, lacking the ability to limit network access by address, protocol or port which most software firewalls offer.

While AppDefend/SSM are certainly worth consideration for more experienced users, a decent software firewall is still more important in my view since virtually all malware has to make a network connection to function, and this is easier to single out.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

If your behind a router ,you might want to consider using kerio 2.15 ,rather than 4 (for its lightness and speed),as i guess you would only be worried about application filtering really, and also SSM ,for its registry/system monitoring (also very light indeed).Its up to you whether you consider leaktest of any great importance in a firewall.If you do then be prepared to change firewalls very few months or so.SSM has the ability to stop/alert you to them anyway ,if you were unlucky/foolish enough to allow one to run.Thats the combination i use ,and all works fine together.Both kerio and SSM have md5 authentication too.I personally would prefer router+software firewall (the lighter and simpler the better)+SSm.
    ellison

4. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Another good combo : jetico (free + if you want it to be less noisy, set allow to process attack table) and Online Armor personal ( shareware, add web filtering, mail filtering, antispam and very good program execution watcher with rollback feature)

Regards,

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am using a combination of router + kerio 2 + ssm + antivir + k-meleon now and feel quite well protected. It's probably a little overkill for my needs, but they all work very well together so I'm sticking with it for the moment..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.