Repartitioning an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-150t

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by rounder, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rounder

rounder Registered Member

I just bought an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-150t running Windows 7, X64. Before I even download a trial version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite I have a few questions.

The hard drive comes with the OS on the C: drive, around 650GB; a D: recovery drive of around 10GB, 2 DVD drives, and 4 USB ports that show up in Windows Explorer, each with an assigned drive letter (E: and F: for the DVDs, and G:-J: for the USB ports). I would like to shrink the C: drive to 100 GB, and create 3 logical drives with the remaining space.

Can I reassign the drive letters for the DVD drives and USB ports, and give them to the 3 logical drives I create? And what about the D: drive? Should that remain as D:, and the new drives given letters E-G?

Does anyone have specific problems with using Paragon Hard Disk Manager or Partition Manager on these HP computers that I should know about?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

You should be able to shrink the C volume and create additional partitions from it. To change drive letters, click on Start > Right-click Computer > Manage. In Disk Management, you should be able to right-click the partitions and reassign different drive letters. This can also be done in Paragon Partition Manager by right-clicking the partition.

As a reminder, you first need to create an Extended Partition before you create those Logical partitions. Otherwise you'll create additional primaries, and max out at 4 primary partitions.

3. rounder

rounder Registered Member

Thanks.

One other question, which applies to all those with Windows 7. The PHDM 2010 manual suggests creating a WinPE image disk, version 2.1. Why that version, instead of v. 3, which according to Wikipedia was designed specifically for Windows 7? Or does Paragon now have the latest version?

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You would use winpe 3 if you were for example, deploying windows 7. You can include the specific tools for that purpose.

Any number of mini operating systems can be used as boot media for repair and recovery tools, e.g. bartpe, winpe 2.1 , winpe 3, Linux, even dos. They all work fine on Win7.

The recovery environment is loaded into memory and is independent of the operating system you have installed.

That's why a lot of boot discs made for operations on Windows are Linux based.

WinPe discs ( pe 2.1 and 3.0 ) have the advantage that you can load windows drivers into them .

Most people never need to do that, it is if you need to load specific drivers for a raid configuration, for example.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.