Repairing/restoring a MBR

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by wptski, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I'm working with MS on my W7 SP1 update failures on a Dell with OEM partitions. They had me borrow a W7 DVD to do a upgrade/repair install. After all the transfering, merging, etc. it hung in Windows network setup and always returned to that same point after a repeated reboots. Couldn't boot into safe mode either.

I used the HDM2011S WinPE disc to restore my HD image for the first time ever and I was running again.

Later I thought that maybe just restoring the MBR and/or the first track "may" have allowed me to boot into windows to correct the setup.

I was in a self infected no boot situation before and repairing MBR from the WinPE disc still failed. This may be a Dell quirk similiar to the Windows created repair disc failing to boot.

I know that there are other ways like using BCDEDIT on a saved MBR file but I assume that one could use a backup of just the MBR and/or first track only, correct?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Not likely.

MBR contains disk code and partition table.

bootmgr and bcd are on the Active partition.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Ah! I have confused the two, then using BCDEDIT would be my only solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.