Repair Windows XP Professional

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

My old desk top computer is running terribly slow and I believe my operating system may be corrupted. I have run numerous security and test programs and feel the computer is malware free, hard drive is good and memory sticks good. I don't have the expertise to check the motherboard or processor but believe they too are good. Thinking of either trying to repair Windows XP Professional or reinstalling it. I have so many programs I would hate to lose so I am leaning towards trying the Repair first and hope it works. I am hoping that one or more members of our forum have repaired Windows XP Professional and would comment on their experience. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. I don't use the old computer much anymore just hate to throw it out along with the ton of work I have on it. Regardless, as always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

2. Reality

Reality Registered Member

I haven't done a repair but done a couple of fresh installs. Going by the info in your post, here's what I'd do. Do a backup image of your disk first. There's free options to be had like Iomei Backupper and Macrium Reflect. I'd then go a little further to see whats making things slower. Junk files cleaned out? How's the free space on your drive? I like to have no less than 25%

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I used to have to run my XP install disk every so many months because performance would simply just bog down to uncomfortable levels for use.

After the XP install run again things were incredibly much better.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I used to run the XP repair/install fairly often in the field. I found it worked quite well and it was great having a non-destructive option. I don't see any downside to trying it first. The repair is very reliable, but it's always a good idea to have a data backup of course. Here's a walk through with pictures:

https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Windows-XP-"Repair-Install"

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Doing a repair install, as suggested by @Victek is a good idea. You may also want to try installing Hard Disk Sentinel which will instantly tell you if there are any issues with your hard drive, as a failing hard drive can also make your computer run slowly.

6. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

While XP repair is a good option it isnt as good as a clean install.

Do you have space to repair your old xp and do a clean install of xp on another partition and build it up gradually?
    This is how i normally work as it takes a while to get the clean os back to my liking.

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Exactly the point I put up as a better alternative. The idea of checking your hardware (DISK) is important too.

BUT, if your HD weighs in OK then OP could do well to follow the advice and put an end to that problem once and for all.

9. 59er

59er Registered Member

Have you checked if your IDE drive has switched from DMA back to PIO mode? Worth a look because its an easy fix.

'A few years ago I experienced an extreme slow down on my XP SP3 computer. Everything, boot, shutdown, any kind of scan (CCleaner, security, etc). The problem was my system DMA transfer rate reverted ( a unique XP thing) from Ultra DMA to the much slower PIO mode.

To check go to Control Panel - Systems - Hardware - Device Manager. Under device manager find the IDE ATA/ATAP Contollers, Click the + to access and look for Primary and Secondary IDE channels. Highlight the Primary and right click. Click Properties then Advanced Settings. If the Current Transfer mode shows Ultra DMA your ok here. Do the same for the secondary IDE. If you are seeing 'PIO only' your system reverted.

There is a simple fix found here: http://winhlp.com/node/10

The page goes into detail of why it happens and various ways to fix. I used the Quick solution at the top of the page. Line one - the underlined blue 'here' link. I right clicked for Firefox and it ran a small program to revert back to Ultra DMA. It took just a few seconds for the program to run. Worked great, problem solved! What caused my system to revert to PIO?...I ran a scratched DVD one too many times (again a unique to XP thing).'

Cheers!

PS I originally posted this on Bleeping Computers 3 years ago (being lazy here)...helped the OP there.

10. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

59er, thanks for your reply, I will look into this as soon as I can. I recently had, after a terrible noise, a CD drive quit. I will, as a last resort, take the advise of the others and reinstall XP Professional Pro.

John

11. rodocop

rodocop Registered Member

Well, John first of all check whether your TEMP folders are empty or not. Windows (any version) always tends to create tons of junk files there that can TREMENDOUSLY slowdown the PC.

Press Win+R (Run command window will open)
    type there %temp%

you'll get the system TEMP folder open. Delete all the stuff there.

Also check manually next folders (if exist):

C:\TEMP
    C:\TMP
    C:\Windows\Temp
    C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Temp

where C: is system drive with OS installed.

Clear all.

Or simply download old good TFC by OldTimer
    and run it with all other software closed and all AV-suites unloaded or stopped.

12. rodocop

rodocop Registered Member

Then check the PC with AdwCleaner and DrWeb CureIt!
    to be sure it's free from malware.

I suppose also you abandon any antivirus bundle if using any and replace it with combination of lightweight proactive techs widely discussed here on forum.

Also check your system volume (disk C: or else, where Windows folder is placed) has at least 15% of free space. Defragment it with MyDefragPowerGUI (best defrag option for XP, sure) using 'Optimize Monthly' preset:
    https://s6.postimg.org/90oaru4ht/screenshot_33.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.