Renew NOD32, find a cheap KAV, or go with freebie antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pamar, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pamar

pamar Registered Member

I bought a boxed version of NOD32 about a year ago. I've been happy with it, other than wondering on occasion when I see in other threads the support for KAV and those pushing for the freebie AVG. Currently, my NOD32 license will expire tomorrow.

I've seen some great deals on KAV, perhaps almost free after rebate. Is NOD32 really worth it? I haven't had any viruses, which is a nice thing, but could I have said the same thing running NAV or KAV or even AVG?

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

This all depends on your surfing habits, if you are a fairly safe surfer AVG is fine, AntiVir and Avast! are also great choices.

Kav is a nice program, still with rebates free is nice, but they are rebates so you still have to front the cash.

Renewing Nod I cannot comment on, no experience.

Migrating to Dr. Web is a nice choice also with your old eset key.

NAV07 is also a viable option if cheap enough, officemax had it for $19 around Christmas.

All in all up to you.

HTH

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If you want a cheap KAV take a look at ebay. It seems that KAV6 boxed goes from around $20 - $25. Rightnow there is an auction for KIS 6 for a 2 year license for $50.

NOD is one of the best AVs, although I prefer KAV and F-Secure.
    If you are not a dangerous user, going to risky and known bad sites, one of the freebies will give adequate protection.

Avira is among the top AVs in detection rates. Classic is free.
    Avast, my own choice, has POP3 email scan and HTTP scannng. It has more features than Avira Classic, but not as high detection rates.

Most folks I personally know use AVG free. They are completely satisfied, and do not experience infections. They are not high risk users.

When a license runs out there is a good opportunity to trial other AVs. Trying is the only way to determine if one works well for you.

If you have not done so, you might take a look at AV Comparatives. There you can get a good idea as to the detection rates of AVs. However, remember that an AV is only effective if it runs well on your system, and gives a minimum of problems that you are willing to tolerate.

Best,
    Jerry

4. pamar

pamar Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. While I'm generally pretty safe, I have others in the house that like to play free games. Every time I run Spybot S & D, it comes up with a few little treats. :rolleyes:

5. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Today some site is safe but tomorrow...Who knows?May be it will be cracked and full of trojans.
    I'd prefer always use high rated products,such as Dr.Web,KAV,F-Secure,Avira,BitDefender,GData,NOD32.
    IMO:)

6. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

NOD32 and Kaspersky are both excellent. I am currently using AOL AVS (KAV6 light) on this machine and Antivir on my other. Both are good for my purposes. I'd advise all round protection for you which probably means :

Paid: NOD32 or Kaspersky both are excellent (trial them to see what works best on your machine)

Free: EDIT I meant to say Avira (not Avast) but hey both are nice Avast is more well rounded Avira has higher detection rates.

AVG isn't good enough for me to relax with. I'd run the free version of AVG Antispyware as backup protection against spyware (on top of your AV). I wouldn't bother with dedicated realtime antisyware if you go for NOD32 or Kaspersky.

Good luck,
    Phasechange :ninja:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  7. pamar

pamar Registered Member

Thanks, phasechange, for posting your thoughts here (and others who replied)

Hmm. For my laptop, I think I'll switch from AVG to Avast. Now, to continue with NOD32 or go with Avast for the main machine. I could swallow the $27 renewal fee for one license, but don't really want to fork out the $50 for 2 for NOD32 on both machines.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi . It is all up to you , up to your mind . I'll choose NOD32 because it will offer you light and fast first class anti-malware protection , first class support and the best heuristics - protection from new unknown viruses .
    You can read more HERE and on AV-Comparatives.org web-site (Comparatives) . Hope you find the best protection that best fits your needs :thumb:

9. pipester

pipester Guest

I currently use NOD32, prior to that I used F-prot for years along with some other security applications. I moved to NOD32 for the simple reason that it covers all vectors of infection and all areas of malware, so I was able to do away with my other security applications, really cleaning up my system performance. I also tried KAV 6, but preferred NOD32's proactive heuristics over KAV's proactive defense module.

Like JerryM said in an earlier post, most of my friends use AVG 7.5 free and are completely satisfied and experience no infections. I prefer a paid antivirus, I like the additional capabilities and features, including product support, if needed. My reasoning is this, if I'm going to invest in a system and monthly internet service to use that system, I'm going to invest in a good security application to protect it, the cost of an antivirus program or renewal is minimal compared to system damage, data loss and time spent recovering. A NOD32 renewal in your case would be money well spent in my opinion.

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You could check out some more av programs and see if one really impresses you.NOD32 or Avast? I don't think that there's a wrong choice there either.;)
    Whatever you like best.

11. pamar

pamar Registered Member

I think I'm leaning toward renewing NOD32 for the main machine for ease and since the laptop has less critical stuff, use the feebies for it.

12. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

13. pamar

pamar Registered Member

Actually, I did read the thread before posting. :) It was helpful. I've forgotten. Did you do 1 or two machines?

14. huntnyc

Just one machine because the other is seldom if at all connected to the Internet. If it were two machines, that would be a challenge but I am used to NOD32 for a few years now and i like its performance although i am looking for an interface overhaul in version 3 hopefully. Still, you have to figure if you want to go for that cost or not for two machines. If it were two renewals adn no new license, I would probably use NOD32 on both if they will be connected to the Net a lot.

Gary

15. pamar

pamar Registered Member

Thanks, Gary. Actually, one one machine had the original software. I didn't know if they would allow me to add a machine in the renewal process.

16. huntnyc

Think you will need to get a separate new licence for the one machine and a renewal for the other. For the same price of covering two machines with NOD32 for 2 years, you could go with AVG suite if you like that but I opted for NOD32 instead of that for now.

Gary

17. pamar

pamar Registered Member

Well, that definately settles it for the second machine. I think a freebie is in order. :)

18. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

NOD32 is good stuff. Stick with it and use a freebie as a backup -- freebies are having some "beta testing" problems, which is why they are offered as freebies.

Dave

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Dave,
    I'm not sure how you arrived at the freebies are free because of "beta testing" problems. The three major freebies have been free for years. It has nothing to do with beta testing. Maybe I missed something.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will choose to stay with NOD32...

Why? Simply because it is the best... ;)

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sure, if you say so.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its a personal choice.
    lodore

23. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I dont think you can go wrong with NOD or Kaspersky, both excellent products, but I've steered to Kaspersky.

Personal choice at the end of the day as Lodore said, try them both out and see which you prefer... some people swear by NOD, others, Kaspersky. see which one rocks your boat! ;)

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

In my opinion one cannot go far wrong with any of the ACVs that score Advanced in IBKs test. Probably there are a few that did not score that high that would also be perfectly satisfactory.

When an AV expires, there is an excellent opportunity to test several AVs and learn which ones run well on your system. I have never seen the rationale in paying for an AV when better ones, detection wise, are available and run well on your system. Some disagree, of course.

You might consider testing F-Prot, which has a following among some savvy users here. While its detection rates are too low for me to consider it presently, I expect it to improve in the near future. The cost of the license, which is about $29 if my memory serves me, is very reasonable and good for up to 5 computers. Someone correct this if in error.

I think I might test it when my current license runs out in July.

If you have time test several, and see which is best for you.

Regards,
    Jerry

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

By all means renew NOD32. Only the best. See my signature. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.