rename large html file is very slow

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by notuo, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notuo

notuo Registered Member

Hi.

I found this issue. I downloaded a large file in chunks from rapidshare. The file is named
    a.part1.rar.html to a.part5.rar.html

When I click F2 in order to rename the file (take away the .html) to .rar ths thing is this process is very slow. Takes about 20-30 seconds to regain control of Windows Explorer.

The last file (a.part5.rar.html) is 2MB large and this one takes a couple of seconds (not immediately) to be renamed but the rest are 100MB each.

If I "return" the .rar to .rar.html is done almost immediately. This happens only renaming large html file (as far as I know)

I found another issue as well. If I transfer a rar file to my machine takes for example 10 seconds but if the file is the original .rar.html takes at least 3 times (30 seconds).

I received some tip in another forum regarding this as follows:
    So I tested and apparently NOD is the cause. When I disable the AV, the rename is in a blink.

This happens with any file. I renamed a large 300MB .avi file to .rar.html and then rename it to .rar only and the result was more time waiting more than 60 seconds and the machine almost frozen.

EDIT>>>
    I just tested this in an XP with NOD V3 also and the same result
    Also I tested with an exe file instead of a .rar and the same result

Any idea is appreciatted,

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. notuo

notuo Registered Member

Hi guest, thanks for your answer but I have to said that my installation is pretty new and no changes were made to NOD. I review each screen of the procedure you mentioned and did it but no changes made by the DEFAULT button.

So I am in the same situation.

Any other ideas?

3. notuo

notuo Registered Member

No, I don't have any other.

As I mentioned, the file originally is a .RAR downloaded as .RAR.HTML This is the extension I see .rar.html

Did you tried on your machine? Rename any large 100MB+ .rar to .rar.html and back again to .rar and you will notice the difference and the behavior I am describing. Also if I disable NOD this rename thing is as expected.

Regards

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please PM me the link to the file in question so that I can check it myself? Only SFX archives are scanned internally when being copied.

5. notuo

notuo Registered Member

Hi Marcos.
    Code:
    The private messaging system is currently unavailable.
    But this doesn't matter. As I mentioned, any file can do. I just made another test. I rar an avi file and repeated the process...the same

So If you have any .rar (preferable 100MB+) repeat the procedure.

I'll wait until the messaging system is available and send you the last file I created.

Thanks

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

PM sent :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.