Removing snapman.sys

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jaypeecee, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Registered Member

Hi Folks,

I need to remove snapman.sys from my PC. I have read several threads on this forum that deal with this subject. Unfortunately, most of the methods described for removing snapman.sys involve manual changes to the registry. Indeed the method described by Acronis relies on a long list of such changes. Come on, Acronis, this is completely unreasonable. It may be OK to expect an advanced computer user to make these changes to the registry. But, for those of us less skilled, it's a tall order.

So, my question is - are there any reliable alternatives to the manual registry fix? Or, am I stuck with snapman.sys?

JPC

2. jaypeecee

OK, so it looks as though I'm stuck with snapman.sys!!

3. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Some more information would be helpful:
    Your operating system.
    Version and build # of your True Image software.
    Your reason for wanting to remove snapman.sys (what are you trying to accomplish?). Any other comments that you would like to make that might be helpful.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

I assume you have uninstalled True Image. I also assume you do not have Disk Director installed. If these conditions are true, you should get rid of snapman. However, If you're not willing to edit the registry, you are stuck with it.

There are only three registry edits needed to eliminate snapman:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Remove snapman from the UpperFilters list on the right side.

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}
    Remove snapman from the UpperFilters list on the right side.

3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\snapman
    Delete the entire snapman key on the left side.

Now you can delete C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\snapman.sys.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Would booting into XP safe mode allow manual removal of snapman.sys?

Though the problem would remain that you have an entry in registry that'll now point to nothing - not good, though a registry cleaner utility would hopefully find the entry and delete it.

Colin

6. mustang

mustang Developer

bodgy, don't do that. You'll be looking at a BSOD on reboot.

7. jaypeecee

Hi Guys,

The reason for wanting to remove snapman.sys is that it causes BSODs if Shadow Protect Desktop (SPD) is installed having removed ATI. I wanted to evaluate SPD but was unable to do so. My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. I was using ATI 10 Home - build 4942 rings a bell but it's now uninstalled so can't easily check. I do not have Disk Director installed.

Perhaps I'll edit the registry as per mustang's instructions. Looks like that's the only way to go. I'll make a backup of the registry before editing.

As for uninstalling ATI 10 in the first place, I found it to be very unreliable - what good is a backup product that often reports (rightly or wrongly) 'corrupted archive'?

Thanks for all your help.

JPC

8. mustang

mustang Developer

That's correct. The snapman service does cause ShadowProtect to blue screen during a backup from Windows. You can still evaluate it by doing backups from the Recovery Environment. You'll need to make a request to their support department to get the Recovery Environment for evaluation. Normally, you get the Recovery Enironment ISO after you purchase.

9. jaypeecee

mustang,

In your instructions above for the registry edits, I had a look at what I needed to do. I'm building up courage! I saw the snapman entries in the UpperFilters list to which you referred. I presume that if I click on these entries, that will highlight them and then I can use a right mouse click and select 'delete'. Is that correct? I think I'm OK with item 3 on your list. Sorry to be a dumbo but I want to get it right.

JPC

10. mustang

mustang Developer

Maybe you need some help from a friend.

11. BLKMGK

BLKMGK Registered Member

Upperfilters is a listing of things, you shoudln't just delete the key and you cannot just delete them from the right side. what you need to do is EDIT the key (not in Binary form). You do this by right clicking on the key and selecting Edit. What you'll get is a box that contains the list you saw on the right side, remove JUST those entries you do not need, leave the rest, and close the dialog. You shouldl see that the list no longer contains snapman.

Sounds harder\scarier than it is but honestly it's pretty straightforward. If you do a search you may find a second set of Upperfilters with Snapman listed - I did the same inboth of them to cleanse my Registry.

I agree that Acronis ought to build something to clean this up a little better. Done incorrectly removing their product can leave you with a machine that will not boot. If I hadn't had a Vista install DVD laying around that allowed me to get to a recovery console I might have been in REAL trouble:mad:

12. jaypeecee

Hi Folks,

I'm pleased to say that snapman.sys is no more. In the words of John Cleese, it's an ex-parrot! Followed mustang's instructions and they worked a treat.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

JPC

13. mustang

mustang Developer

Glad it worked for you. Does ShadowProtect work properly now?

14. jaypeecee

Mustang,

I thought you might ask that. As my evaluation period has expired with SPD, I decided to take a look at Macrium Reflect 4.1 before making a decision. I have to say 'so far, so good' with the latter. But it's early days. I think I'll start a new thread in 'software general' or whatever it's called.

JPC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.