removing programs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

whats the correct way to remove programs. is it remove then reboot? well yes i know that, but, is it ok to remove more then 1 program at a time say 3, then reboot? thanks :)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I guess you could.

I do one at a time, clean registry and any other "stuff" before uninstalling another.

Don't want to confuse myself! :cool:

Others may differ.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, it sounds like the safest way. i just dont like rebooting :rolleyes: . plus i suppose it works the same way for installation (i have about 6/7 programs i need to install) :eek:

thanks, ron :)

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

just incase you missed it ,one of which is ccleaner, which i just installed, id had a 10 version for a few months, it seems to updates every 4/5 weeks or so :)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes, I have CCleaner as well as the last free regcleaner and regseeker also.

If you install a lot of programs at once, give each one a little time to make sure there are no problems.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ok, ron :) . i just installed tinylogger, to use instead of kerio firewall's log recorder, looks like a good improvment, thanks again ron :cool:

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

My view on removing programs... I think it depends a lot on how complex a program it is. A software firewall, anti-virus, or similar application that may have installed drivers, or in some other way hooked deep into the OS, these require special handling and should be done one at a time.

My example has always been Zone Alarm, a package a lot of people have trouble removing, and yet I haven't. I disable it and set it not to run / load at next restart. I reboot and confirm it is actually not running. Then I execute the uninstall program. Reboot again and check for / clean any remaining pieces (files, registry entries, etc.)

For any program highly integrated into the OS, I recommend the "disable and double reboot" method descrbed above. But, for simple programs like... I don't know, say IrfanView (an image viewer and basic editor), that doesn't need any reboots.

If I'm installing an upgrade of a complex program, I do the above removal and then a clean install on a freshly rebooted system. And I'd never combine say a firewall and anti-virus install in a single session without rebooting between them.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, LWM. that made alot of sense. thankyou :)

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Very straightforward LWM, this is how I observe...

GF :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.