Removing increments - best practice for backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Jasontaz, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Jasontaz

Jasontaz Registered Member

Hi - Newbie alert (although not to backup types etc).

So I have been using the product for a while (after ditching acronis due to restores hanging repeatedly for machine migration). I like that you see what is going on and have good control.

So a 1TB laptop backing up to a 1TB external Disk (USB3) all good. Using - Paragon Backup and Recovery™, version 10.1.25.348 (10.10.14 ) Home. External Disk is bitlockered (can't remember why, maybe Paragon can't encrypt backups??).

First backup 21/03/2015. 11 increments since. pfi format, compressed.
    So after 11 increments, my external disk is getting full. So say I currently have weekly increments. logically I would want to delete a bunch of increments from say Inc 1, 3, 4, 7 (i.e. paragon merge them) and as the same files change, the overall disk usuage would reduce.

The only options appear to be:
    - start again on a new disk with a new base
    - delete recent increments and carry on - reducing my ability to recover recent loses if they occur

What is the best way to deal with the classic backup where you end up with Base backup + 1/4ly forever + monthly for the last 6 months, weeklies for the last 6 weeks....

TIA.

2. Jasontaz

Jasontaz Registered Member

OK, I found a merge option, is this what I need to "compress 2 increments" into one?
    Also, in the docs found about being able to create multiple increment chains from one base. The trouble with this is that I would have to have a massive disk to achieve this, unless I span disks.
    I guess I could have:
    Disk OLD = BASE + 1/4lies
    Disk Monthly = BASE + Monthlies if I can merge in the oldest inc back into the base
    Disk weekly = Base + weekly if I can merge the oldest weeklies into the base?

Aside: So just kicked off a new base on another disk and love the way is says "48 seconds remaining" on backing up what I know will be about 700GB of data and I know it will take about 8 hours or more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.