Removing AV

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Out of curiosity whats happens to malware quarantined by my AV should I uninstall the AV in question? Is it automatically deleted? Are the files left behind but still quarantined? Or are they released from quarantine and left free to roam my PC? TIA.

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It depends on the uninstall routine of the application. Some will leave a quarantine sub-folder, some will uninstall everything, some will ask you during the uninstall if you want to retain your settings.
    Whatever happens, the malware is not released to roam free.
    Nor, usually, without the governing program, could it be manually released, as the files are often encrypted during the quarantine process.

If you are sure the files involved are malware, rather than false positives that you might want to restore, you can delete them from the quarantine before uninstalling the application.

3. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

quarantine of AV's usually pack malware in a packer only used by them(not .rar or .zip lol) thus no matter what happens,it can't do anything

4. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Cool. Thanks for the info guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.